FG MK1 - XR6 Turbo Automatic Transmission removal (ZFHP26)

greasemonkey

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 8m 28d

• Member For: 6y 10m 11d

Thanks HJ for the links. I checked out some of the parts already.

So I've done the rear main seal but something unusual was there that I saw. It was hard for me to take a photo but before I installed the new seal I saw that in fact the area between the block and crankshaft had what looked like metal welds. I thought this was weird because it is only on the right side. When I touched it, the metal bond suddenly broke off and I felt that it was actually like putty. It went down and I believe it is now in the sump. It is the size of say a rolled breadcrumb or two from a biscuit.

I think it was actually this (from when Ford were putting the engine together).

RtMURQt.jpeg

So I could just think it is small and nothing would happen but in all honesty you never know. Just is now an "maybe I will" to "I definitely will" take the oil pan off.

Is the oil pan on falcons purely RTV silicon material or do Ford use rubber gaskets to seal the whole pan?

One way as well I got the rear main off was by using a screwdriver and mallet. I hit it at the the end nearest the crank and angled the screwdriver away as there isn't any metal there. It created a hole eventually and I stuck the screwdriver in and levered it away slowly. I cut away some rubber for the photo

OLD SEAL

KzZ4Cpx.jpeg

The torque converter I pulled out. It's heavy! Not much fluid came out. When I put it back, I aligned it to marks I had made. I didn't have to turn it a lot but I had to push it past 3 points of tension (different parts of the shaft). I really don't know if I ruined the converter or not when it came out with the box or when I took it from inside the box? It feels fine but I don't know what ruining the torque converter feels like?

Can anyone give me the name of this seal??

Nf3nukG.jpeg

30stuJc.jpeg

Thanks everyone so far. Seriously, your tips are helping me get this done!

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 5m 25d

There is a rubber half moon seal kit you need that seals the, well, half moon shaped parts of the sump at each enD of the crankshaft. Other than that, the gasket is all RTV

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 8m 18d

The circled parts are just silicone from the sump install. You really need to go to town when getting the sump sealed up. I put silicone around the outside of the main seal just to make sure it seals. They farken leak if you don't seal every single last bit!

You didn't wreck the converter, you'll break the trans pump gears first and you already found the 3 steps.

You've done well so far, if you farked the trans seal have a look for what you need, front pump seal looks to be it.

P7MtRcN.jpg

Alright guys. So I've ordered an engine support bar link (the aeroflow one). Just have to work out how it chains the Barra motors in the FG well. Going to get my tailshaft centre bearing replaced too and check the balance. Then I'll put it back together.

In the meantime I'm just wire brushing bolts that are corroded or chalky. My sandwich plate had very light remnants of surface rust. I cleaned them off.

I want to check. Is the transmission sandwich plate made of zinc or normal sheet metal with a painted coat. I'm worried I took off a coat or paint covering because the finish after wiring brushing the rust scale off is different. SEE PICTURE???

hdtXKSY.jpeg

Anyone have any info about the material of the sandwich plate??

I've done an internet search and can't find out what material the sandwich plate is made from and if it is coated.

Just my fear is that I have taken a coat off and it will now be open to rusting faster?

So I haven't confirmed from anyone, even on  facebook about the sandwich plate material but I just went "bugger it" and started primer painting it today. I'll coat it tomorrow and at least that will be rust proofed for eternity!

Got my front seal from Alltranz (thanks guys for pointing me in that direction). There only 20 mins from my place. Picked up a filter, the seal and a gasket. They gave me the aluminium gasket for the 6R80 that should fit on.

Just wondering if I need any RTV with that (I know that RTV is always used with no gasket). Will the aluminium seal as well as the green gasket they come with?

k72jNqx.jpeg

So I'm getting ready to start undoing the sump and resealing

This is a job that you can make a little mistake and it is a pain to fix so hopefully first time will be the right way.

I've circled two parts in my picture

dV9Uw2V.jpeg

From what you guys have said, I want to use RTV silicone all across the bottom (red circle), then across teh yellow as well. The factory sump doesn't have any silicone I can see in the red circle. Do I do the same on the front sump also (where the crescent is) and do I need to take the harmonic balancer pulley off for this?

Thanks for the help