PBR Brake rebuild caliper kit FG XR6T? (NOT AT REPCO) and Oil Sump leak through little pin holes

greasemonkey

• Member For: 6y 9m 1d

Hi guys

Keith, Puff, you may have some information as well.

Two issues I'm dealing with. In preperation of getting my car to go to the drags next week, I purchased new pads and thought I would check the seals and pistons of the front calipers whilst I am at it. On my daily, an Astra I was able to blow compressed air into the fluid line but I don't have a screw in fitting to do this for the PBR brakes (I'm sticking my blow gun nozzle and there is still a gap where air is escaping). To get the pistons out, I'm going for the brake pedal method but personally I'd like to do it with compressed air. What screw do you need to allow fittings to blow compressed air in the nozzle.

Either way I will be able to get them out.

Question 1) With rebuild kits (seals and rings for PBR calipers) however REPCO don't stock a rebuild kit nor Supercheap. Where can I get front brake caliper seal kits and is there a physical store I could pick them up? There are some brake online stores but but I don't believe that anything I order will get to my house in time so I can install it.

Question 2) I've had this since I purchased the car. It seems part of the weld has been scuffed at some point. So much that I get the tiniest pinhole leak. It is very very small (maybe less than 50ml every 1500kms). Still is there some sealant or something I can do to stop it. It just seems a bit ridiculous. More worried about my brakes getting right. Just can't believe that you can't get rebuild seal kits from a store like Repco or Supercheap etc. See oil leak area in red circle in photo

dOl5KeF.jpeg

Edited by greasemonkey

• greasemonkey changed the title to PBR Brake rebuild caliper kit FG XR6T? (NOT AT REPCO) and Oil Sump leak through little pin holes
  • Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 7m 9d

I went to ebay and typed in Falcon caliper kit and this was one of many listings. Use a pair of multi grips to remove the piston.

That bit on the sump is from when the sump was cast in the foundry. If you are adamant that it is leaking from there then you can either get it welded, chuck some JB weld or fuel tank putty etc over it.

Edited by Puffwagon
muh spellinz
  • Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 4m 16d

Yeah remember that oil runs down and has a tendency to gather on a low point so that spot may not be your leak. I saw some powder stuff recently to help trace leaks - you clean everything down and dust on the powder which makes the leak more visible.

I had a decent crack in my sump which I covered in two layers of gasket goo (Permatex ultra black) until I could get it fixed. So what Puff is suggesting is a good plan if that is indeed your leak. Mine worked so well I almost regretted getting it fixed properly.

• Member For: 6y 9m 1d
14 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

I went to ebay and typed in Falcon caliper kit and this was one of many listings. Use a pair of multi grips to remove the piston.

That bit on the sump is from when the sump was cast in the foundry. If you are adamant that it is leaking from there then you can either get it welded, chuck some JB weld or fuel tank putty etc over it.

Thanks Puff. My pistons are good but to check you have to take the seals off.

With the multi grips, how would you go about doing without scratching the piston on its way out? I used the caliper off and the brake pedal method with the caliper still hoooked up. Once the pistons are near the end of their range, you can twist and wiggle them out. To put the boot back in and get it to seal inside the caliper lip is a pin until I found this video. Heaps of people stated they pressed it with a screwdriver, their finger or something else in videos and forum but I found some part always came out and the video below was the best and most logical method to get the boot in.

Protex front caliper kit is this one. Guy at the parts store said that from AU onwards, they are all the same seal sizes! Found my local auto shop had the Protex kit.

Looks like this for anyone if they need a reference.

VrRCmez.jpeg

I'll try sealant with the oil sump. I've done my front main seal and there is no oil leaking from the sump gasket I can see. I've cleaned it a few times and you can see one very very tiny hole. I reckon the sealant should work a treat. If the oil gets on the sealant then I know it wasn't the tiny little hole I thought of.

Thanks Puff and El Andrew.

• Like 1