How to drill out this manifold hole for helicoil?

GarethS

• Member For: 2m 6d

As the post says.

I'm replacing my manifold bolts with studs and this one has threaded, I need do drill it out but the drill is about an inch too long to get a straight shot, all my other drills are the same and any smaller drill I have the chuck is too small...

I guess I'm asking if anyone knows of a smaller 10.5 HSS drill bit or a smaller drill with 13mm chuck (Cheap lol).

EB1UorR.jpeg

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 7m 9d

Cut an inch or so off the end of the drill bit...the blank end of the drill, not the drilling part obviously. I have done this for this exact job.

• Member For: 2m 6d

Only If I leave some shank on the bit right? if its going into the flutes with no shank the 3 clamps of the chuck wont grab evenly and it will be off. Sadly I think my ryobi is just too long as I would have to cut all the shank off (Just) to make it fit

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

No you can cut it as much as you need. Wrap electrical tape around it if it's too wobbly for you. I've never had an issue with short drill bits, even when gripping onto the fluted area. The only downfall is you cut the drill bit measurement off the shank, so you can't see what size it is in the future.

Another method I've used is a socket to hold the drill bit with a bit of cut off cable tie inserted to keep it tight, and a 90 degree air ratchet to turn it. Do what you gotta do to get it done, or buy the right tool for the job.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Yep I buy all the tools so I can do stuff. It's costly but handy so it kinda evens out. One tip I can give you regarding this topic is, don't fark things up using the incorrect tool or incorrect method. If you can see it won't work, stop, re-evaluate and do it properly. You might already know this but it's worth putting out there.

Edited by Puffwagon

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 2m 9d

Why not cut the sharp end down and resharpen it?

That way the bit still fits into the drill as it is supposed to.

It is possible to do by hand with a little thought and given that you are, just cutting a little alloy from the head, it wont need to be sharpened perfectly.