Fg falcon Rev limiter

Nick_is_not_sus

• Member For: 11m 5d

Just curious about the rev limiter in the fg turbos themselves. my old bf turbo rev limiter just felt like the car was snapping the throttle open and shut. My xr8 just goes to the rev redline and stays there. 

My FG I was told there's 2 limiters? I haven't tried holding the limiter before just because of harmonics and fear of oil pump gears. But a few times accelerating hitting red line it pops and crackles and shifts. I know this is unique to fg and newer but I just want to know is that fuel cut limiter bad on oil pump gears? Sorry for the dumb question but searching hasn't found me alot

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 4m 28d

It'll be based on your tune, normally... the "hard cut limiter" is the OEM tune/setup for all falcon variants (as far as I know)

side note: the "hard cut" tends to "shock load" the oil pump gears etc which can break bits of it, more than a "tuned in soft limiter", so you can worry less about the limiter if the tune has been adjusted to suit the application you're trying to achieve.

• Like 1

• Member For: 11m 5d

So the crackle popping sound is the limiter? If I floor it in first it's hits 6-6.2k rpm a few pops out the exaust as it shifts into the next gear? It also does the same crackle pop sound even if I short shift at about 5.5k rpm 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 4m 28d

it's hard to say exactly what's happening in your situation... the popping/farting sound in stock falcon ZF's is usually the torque reduction as it tries to make the shift to the next gear.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 7m 9d

Afaik the FG utilises a different torque reduction strategy for upshifts. There are details on the PCMTec forum.

What is more likely happening in your case is is actually hitting the limiter, as well as displaying the shift characteristics. When you raise the power level, a usual side effect is the transmission isn't able to make the shift before hitting the limiter. You can tune the trans to tighten it right up and shift properly, while a better solution is to raise the rev limiter by 200rpm so it doesn't actually tag it.

Do not hit the limiter with stock oil pump gears, you're better off raising it high enough so you don't touch it.