FG XR6 MK2 SPEEDO AND TACHO into FG XR6 MK1 instrument cluster

greasemonkey

• Member For: 6y 9m 1d

Hi guys

I'm thinking of swapping my speedo and tacho from an FG MK2 to an FG MK1. The MK1 looks great at night and bright blue but the numbers compared to the MK2 are quite small (hence the upgrade on the MK2) XR6. 

I don't know if anyone has done this before???

Can you swap the speedo and tacho and insert it into a different cluster without an error?? JUST CONFIRMING THAT I WISH TO ONLY CHANGE SWAP THE GAUGES AND NOT THE CLUSTER!

I've read swapping the cluster wtih another completely presents Odometer issues (ECU logs that cluster has been changed and you need to take it to Ford to get it reset to the correct kms). 

I inserted a pic so you know what I'm talking about.  

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 4m 28d

I wonder if that jstyledesigns guy on IG is on here... either way, him and others do heaps of modifications to clusters/lights etc and would probably know for sure... even that campaigner on fb that would always spam groups about his "coding ford stuff together" services would know (forgot the name, temporarily).

I'm just thinking out loud. If you aren't replacing the cluster at all, you would think it would be possible. I'll try and search this person up.

I don't go on instagram much and I'm thankful this forum still exists. So many forums are shutting up shop in internetland and unfortunately with that comes a massive loss of information. People try to do it on facebook but FB isn't a platform designed to archive and search threads of information easily. 

I can get one for $170 so if I can't find out, I might just give it a go. Are the clusters easy to take out of FG falcons?

35 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

@biddie_fiddler will probably know the answer to this, if he's not too busy building houses or making babies :stirthepot:

Hopefully he still goes on the forum. Totally understand. Family time and cars is a fine balance.

• 1 month later...
  • [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 5m 10d

Yea I'm still alive. Trying so hard to save for 4wd but the falcons keep calling my name 👀

As for the cluster. Yea you can take it apart and swap over the cluster fascia (the lexan piece with the numbers and stuff) and the needles. 

While it is possible, I wouldn't recommend it, I did a lot of research prior to taking mine apart regarding recalibration of the needles. The needles are not keyed, they are press fit, so it's extremely difficult to put them back on EXACTLY how they were before. 

My cars digital speed and analogue speed differed by 1km/h. No one would notice, but it took me a very long time to get right.

People that offer custom leds in clusters get around this by making their own controller that sends all the correct signals to the cluster so they can manually adjust the needles before putting it back together. This is the route I was planning to take when I had considered doing this kind of stuff as a service. Since building a house, every project I've started has been put on the back burner. 

Should be in by August though. Even though the Falcon is gone, I still want to finish the projects I started. 

@Puffwagon @k31th, I'm sure I posted pics of this at some point, anyone remember? 🤣

9Ay9Lgh.jpg

I should probably say hi in the ot thread lol, lots to catch up on 

11 hours ago, biddie_fiddler said:

Yea I'm still alive. Trying so hard to save for 4wd but the falcons keep calling my name 👀

As for the cluster. Yea you can take it apart and swap over the cluster fascia (the lexan piece with the numbers and stuff) and the needles. 

While it is possible, I wouldn't recommend it, I did a lot of research prior to taking mine apart regarding recalibration of the needles. The needles are not keyed, they are press fit, so it's extremely difficult to put them back on EXACTLY how they were before. 

My cars digital speed and analogue speed differed by 1km/h. No one would notice, but it took me a very long time to get right.

People that offer custom leds in clusters get around this by making their own controller that sends all the correct signals to the cluster so they can manually adjust the needles before putting it back together. This is the route I was planning to take when I had considered doing this kind of stuff as a service. Since building a house, every project I've started has been put on the back burner. 

Should be in by August though. Even though the Falcon is gone, I still want to finish the projects I started. 

Thanks so much for your reply and posting your knowledge of what happens if you decide to change the cluster fascia. I had no idea about the needles and I can imagine what you are saying would be a real pain. 

How did you get your needles to be spot on? Did you have to take your cluster off several times in order to finish it? 

I really like the size of the MK2 tacho cluster face but I like the look of the MK1 overall. Just the size is small. 

Currently have a minor problem with what I believe to be a boost leak. When I am at WOT, the car makes a sound like an old hinge gate opening and being squeeky. I'm going over the car tomorrow and tightening down all the hoses in the intercooler piping to be solid tight. Initially I thought it was turbo related but the turbo has only done 6,000kms. Going down the 1/4 mile so fingers crossed no issues. 

I read a few tips for passes? Any advice. Probably wrong thread to ask but what the hell.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 5m 10d
11 hours ago, greasemonkey said:

How did you get your needles to be spot on? Did you have to take your cluster off several times in order to finish it?

Yea pretty much lol