Experiences with PSR 3584RS gen3 ?

Nick_is_not_sus

• Member For: 11m 5d

Just curious on people's thoughts on these Garrett knock offs good and bad.  I have just brought a gen3 3584rs with a 1.15A/R 5 bolt rear and t51r mod front, 10spi actuator. (Only running internal gate on low boost, im running a 60mm progate at the moment) and ANTZ 1250cc bosch injectors ( won't be installing till its at the dyno, I have nothing to scale them) I still have head studs and oil pump gears to do and kelford 218b cams which I think im not going to use, but besides those things what sort power would I expect ? It's a healthy overly maintained stock FG F6 engine 

• 1 month later...

Hey, it's been on the car a while now I can't really give you a description yet the cars still not tuned but have done around 500kms still with stock cams.. it's a little laggy down low I think when it's tuned with the cams it should improve alot. But in saying that it brings on boost around 2k maybe a little lower and full boost (12psi) around 2.5-2.7k. I haven't given it a hard time yet. Im hoping to have everything done and tuned soon. My priorty now is going through NZ LVVTA at the to get everything done for a modification certificate. so I am trying to do as many things possible so theyre on the cert dongle so when the/or if the cops pull me over they can scan it and all the modifications that the cars been certified for come up. Talked with the guy who's doing the dyno tune. I said I'd like a reasonably safe tune till I have built the other bottom end. Then we can push it he said we'll probably aim for around the 450rwkw mark give or take since it's a stock fg f6 bottom end still seems a little high to me but I'm not going to beat the hell out of all the time

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 2m 8d

Man if you're getting a 3584RS with a 1.15 rear to come on by 2700 rpm with stock cams, and you think it's laggy, I very much doubt you will do better with cams. They almost all improve mid to top end, and normally shift boost threshold higher.

Also, with a stock motor, most tuners are pretty hesitant bringing in boost too early

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 7m 9d

Yeah I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news etc but Tom is right, it will get laggier with more boost cos the boost will still be rising, so full boost will be later, and cams will make it laggier again. It's fine though cos it's better for the engine, better for grip on the road and better fuel economy cos it will be using less boost for gentle driving. Plus you can always get hectic and send it to 600+kw if you are game to do that on a sbe lol

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 7m 9d

Cams just move the power band up a bit, if they aren't hectic it'll only be a couple hundred rpm. You'll see more variation than that from hot to cold weather.

Interesting these were his words " I'm happy to tune your car but not interested in tuning it with cams unless you go to a haltech, which we can install and tune for 3900+gst" I thought it was some type of sales pitch turns out it actually a good deal. I did a research and found why he was interested in tuning with cams..

haltech - live tuning. 

pcmtech - run the car up, turn it off, make adjustments, flash the pcm, run again. And repeat ... seems like pcmtec will add a ton of time during a tuning process then throwing cams into mix..

probably going to end up not using the cams to be honest. I'm a solo dad and I have spent way to much already and I originally was only getting it ready for a mod cert for suspension and wheels and it grew from there. The turbo I had to do the flapper was removed and welded shut the 3584rs gen3 at my cost through work with the t51r mod was only a couple hundred more that get a stock one