Diy engine removal

Gaz084

• Member For: 10y 2m 11d

Hi guys

I am looking at pulling the motor out of the turbo territory,oil leaks everywhere....I have pulled out an engine of a falcon bf many years ago.

Anything else I need to keep in mind with the difference of it being a territory and a zf?

• Member For: 14y 17d

Coming from E series falcons, an engine swap in a BA was a breeze. Everything in the same familiar place, but more accessible.

Going to an AWD territory was definitely more cramped. The front diff makes getting to some stuff a little trickier, e.g. starter motor, but otherwise no big deal.

The main difference I found was that with the BA/BF, the engine can be lifted straight out. It's a tight fit with the balancer on, but it fits. There isn't enough space in the territory to do this, you need to rotate the engine to lift it out.

I've done it a few times and differently each time, but admittedly these were all non turbos. IIRC removing the exhaust manifold and one of the engine mount brackets is enough. Having an engine crane that works properly and can lift to its max height is essential.... I was caught out by this once.

• Like 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 8m 18d

Haha yerp there's a couple of good tips right there. Balancer off, timing cover toward battery, engine oil in the crane so it actually lifts and undo the bonnet supports so the crane doesn't get stuck on your turbo scoop.

Lift engine off the mounts then remove the mounts from the block is another tip. Plenty of things you can do to make it go easy.

• Like 1

• Member For: 10y 2m 11d

Good advice guys,thank you.

Started on this today,I pulled the balancer off and took the radiator out.

I remember last time damaging the radiator with the balancer.

Do you guys mark the flywhel to the converter?