Harsh 6 to 4 shift, zf6.

SirFaffer

• Member For: 6m 10d

Hi all,

Picked up a 2010 xr50 with a zf6 and all feels great except when I'm on the highway, cruising along in 6th then give it some go pedal, as it drops down to 4th there is a thud sound and you can very much feel it from the seat.

Visual check of the rear diff bush is fine.. has a nolathane.

Is this a normal thing or do I have a dicky auto box?

Have 1 month/1000km stat warranty, so trying to work it out within that.

Cheers :)

Cheers :)

ohhh, that sounds plausible and a quick google tells me that it explains the heavy steering ive got too (though it doesnt explain how a dodgy centre bearing causes heavy steering)

Edited by SirFaffer
cant spell for sh*t

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 5m 25d

If you have stat warranty have you taken it back to the dealer to check? Most mechanics will do the equivalent of a prepurchase inspection pretty cheap which would flush out any other warranty issues you can get sorted.

Could potentially be the side diff bushes. I even had a bad clunk with a new Nolathane rear diff bush because the mechanic had installed it backwards!

its going in on monday... car was bought at auction, but came with a class B stat warranty that seems to be handled by AWN insurance.

went for a drive today and it definitely 'feels' like its coming from the rear end, so possibly side bushes? Looks like there might be a diff oil leak too as there is something all over the bottom of the fuel tank and also on the hand brake cable sheathing.

Having steering issues too... wheel is hard to turn and doesn't return to centre without manual input. I'm guessing it's something binding up in the front end, ball joints maybe?

For anyone in the future that has a similar problem, this is what I was told today

"

They have come back stating the clutches are worn, bushes are worn and possible failed valve body.

We are awaiting a quote on a replacement gearbox and quote on overhauling the box."

In other words, she's I <3 Bananased. :)