Clutch master cylinder blocked. Sanity check

TurboBurbo

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 2y 5m 9d

Quick shopping trip up to Perth, jumped on car to head home and the clutch pedal is basically hitting the floor. Has about 1/5th travel, just enough to park it back off the road. Fluid is manky AF.

I have the master cylinder removed, lines unclipped, piston removed, flushed out, reassembled and totally submerged in a bucket of water. With my finger over the line going to the slave cylinder (slave line), the line going to the reservoir (reservoir line) open to the bucket water, as I cycle the piston the slave line is just pulling a vacuum and giving me finger hickeys. No water is being sucked in the reservoir line.

With piston removed, can blow through both lines.

Seems to me, nothing is getting past the one way valve on the pull stroke when it should, even though the rubber is still soft.

Does it all magically work better the second you get the last gasp of air out? Or am I up for a nice new $300 master for Christmas 😩?

It b0rked.

And what I thought was a one way valve was not the one way valve.

Cut it open, the brown bit has been pulled out of the silver bit about 15mm in the pic. The outer plunger seal on the piston, I had presumed flared open on a push stroke, and collapsed on itself allowing reservoir fluid to flow past if required on a pull stroke like the leather pump buckets on a windmill . The stem of the actual one way valve on the end had torn out and discretly lodged itself internally. 

OxcrvF7.jpg

Replaced, about halfway home as I type. Ford told me they had one in stock, made me wait till lunch to pick it up and then handed me a brake master 🤦. With all the wreckers closed from lunch onwards thank Santa for Repco Rockingham having one on the shelf.

Edited by TurboBurbo