ZF 6 Speed Trans Oil service - FG XR6 TURBO MK1

greasemonkey

• Member For: 6y 9m 13d

Hi guys

I would think someone has done a write up of how to service the transmission for the ZF 6 speed on the FG Falcon turbo models but I couldn't get anything when I did a search bar query. 

Short story: I need to change my rear main seal on my FG XR6 TURBO. I have a slight leak when the car has been sitting a few weeks. It's a weekend driver. Done 220,000kms in its life but 2000kms a year by me. The gaskets are starting to give way. Done front main and rocker cover gaskets also recently. 

I've seen youtube videos of people pumping oil in the box while another person simultaneously shifts gears. 

Can changing the trans oil be done as a 1 person job or do you need two people? What gears do you shift the transmission through as you are pumping in auto fluid to the gearbox? 

Any help really appreciated guys, thnx

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 8m 1d

1 person. You need a scan tool to read the trans temp. A cheap obd2 dongle and a phone app will work just fine for this.

Pump in the same amount that came out.

On first start after the trans has had it's initial fill, shift drive / neutral / reverse a few times holding for 5s. This helps filling / purging of the clutch circuits.

When trans fluid temp is 35deg (from memory) remove the drain plug and drain / fill as required until fluid stops coming out. 

Considerations:

Replace the factory heat exchanger. Optional is to delete it and run an external cooler.

Replace the mechatronic connector sleeve.

Replace valve body bridge seals.

Replace solenoids.

Replace valve body dampers.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 7m 21d

Here's a couple of corrections and additions to that.

You don't need a scan tool to check the trans temp. Don't wait for the trans to warm up, get it done while it is cold as possible IE: not driven that day. Don't pump in the same amount that came out, pump in as much as possible until it dribbles out. Go back to it the next day while it is dead cold and top it up. You'll get in another 500ml to a litre. Make sure the car is level when filling or at least favouring a higher final fill amount. Don't use silicone on the pan seal.

For the record I typed "trans" into the search bar and the very next thread after this one had the info in it.

• Member For: 6y 9m 13d

I've seen a few videos and they state for the trans temp to be at a set amount so I may get a cheap scan tool or otherwise an laser thermo tool. I'll do your tip also. 

I typed in trans in the search bar after your info. My thread does come up 1st now and the others I can't find info about servicing. If you see any threads that you found on the search, just post it through and I'll read them. 

On 14/11/2023 at 1:56 AM, hjtrbo said:

1 person. You need a scan tool to read the trans temp. A cheap obd2 dongle and a phone app will work just fine for this.

Pump in the same amount that came out.

On first start after the trans has had it's initial fill, shift drive / neutral / reverse a few times holding for 5s. This helps filling / purging of the clutch circuits.

When trans fluid temp is 35deg (from memory) remove the drain plug and drain / fill as required until fluid stops coming out. 

Considerations:

Replace the factory heat exchanger. Optional is to delete it and run an external cooler.

Replace the mechatronic connector sleeve.

Replace valve body bridge seals.

Replace solenoids.

Replace valve body dampers.

Thanks HJ Turbo. Aftermarket trans cooler kits are over $1,000 (PWR) that I searched. Don't know if you can still get a factory cooler for the ZF 6 speed. 

With the other parts you listed, do you need to replace them. Can that be done once the pan is off or is it a trans out job. 

There are cheaper kits around. Have a better look. 

OEM cooler is still available.  

It's good preventative maintenance to replace them. They are the common things that cause issues that can be easily replaced. Consider them a mid life birthday. Once installed they should see the life of the box out. 

Can be done trans in. It's a valve body out job. You'd need a new seperator plate as well. Plenty of ZF manuals around on the net to step through the replacement, check ball locations and torque specs. 

OBD is preferred over a temp gun. 

YepThatsIt on youtube has a couple good ZF videos

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 7m 21d
7 hours ago, greasemonkey said:

I've seen a few videos and they state for the trans temp to be at a set amount so I may get a cheap scan tool or otherwise an laser thermo tool

If you do that the trans level will be lower than it otherwise would have been and may cause issues. Just do it all from dead cold and it'll be right. By the time you finish frigging around filling it etc it will be warmed up a bit anyway. OBD is the way to check if you are going to do it anyway.

22 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

By the time you finish frigging around filling it etc it will be warmed up a bit anyway.

That's how I used to do it

Just do it all from dead cold and it'll be right.

That's how I do it now :) 

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 4m 28d

Interesting - I might do the same. Been thinking about it since this method was mentioned around here a couple of weeks back. A lot less mucking around than the specific temp method!

I did wonder too whether part of my cooler is probably above the fill hole and so takes some of the oil capacity once it's pumping. So doing it cold before the oil expands would squeeze a bit more oil in.