Uneven rear tyre wear

TurboBurbo

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 2y 6m 18d

Hey all. Have put about 15000 km's on a set of proxes c100plus tyres, standard sized 245/40r18. Recent trip up to the big smoke in the wet was a suprisingly slippery experience. Once home I've pulled them off and the centers of the rear tyres have worn out more than the edges to the tune of 1.5-2mm (and the left is worse than the right). All tyres have been at 32-34psi (my guage vs local tyre shops), car is driven mostly unladen. Front tyres are wearing linearly. Sits on SL springs. Sees a fair bit of gravel.

Has anyone seen alignment cause this? I've got a complete rear set of bushes to put in when I get the time cause it knocks quite loudly at the moment, but I'm yet to see anything that says center wear is caused by anything bar overinflation.

4th pic is a strange production mark. Tyres haven't ever been patched or plugged.

FJ7pJOK.jpg476fDwG.jpgAWvWlsb.jpgADAZBzr.jpg

Edited by TurboBurbo

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 6m 8d

yeah, I've got no idea how you could wear only the centre... I'd be asking my local tyre shop to give an explanation (other than over-inflating, obviously, which you're clearly not doing).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 2y 6m 18d

Official word back from the manufacturer..."heavy right foot". Which may be true given I put these tyres on a week after I first bought the car, but 70% of the km I drive are open highways for regional sport or travelling up to the city, so I could count the red light launches on my fingers and toes. Might just have to spend a bit more money when picking a tyre next time around. 💸

Edited by TurboBurbo

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 6m 8d

Sounds like seriously bullshit to me from the manufacturer. I'd be claiming warranty just to spite them for saying that.