Is it worth doing a FULL n/a to Turbo conversion

Gretar

• Member For: 1y 2m 23d

I know this topic has been talked to death, however I was on this forum for a while looking to see if people have done a complete conversion, I'm not just talking about a bolt on turbo, I'm talking ECU, Wiring, Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Driveshaft, Fuel pumps, basically everything that is needed to make it a legit FG turbo. but I guess due to my lack of indexing skills I haven't found a post about it yet, so if there is one, please direct me to it.

anyways, I have a 2011 FG XR6 LTD, Had the car for 5 years, got it at a really good price and it has not had a single problem.

3 years ago me mate smashed his fg turbo and since it was a write off he took out most of the parts and scrapped the car.

One day I decided to give my car a birthday so I bought it a XR8 bonnet and a new front bumper because mine was damaged, while we were doing that together he said that we should put his stage 3 intercooler from his car into mine while the bumper is off, so I accepted the offer and now my car looks absolutely amazing.

It turns heads, but those gasps turn into laughter when people realize that it's not really a turbo lmao.

anyways, I didn't care whether it was a turbo or not until recently and since my friend has almost everything from the car I thought about just swapping out my N/a parts, wiring, dash and all with his.

the question is, is this worth doing? Looking at the prices of FG turbos recently makes me depressed knowing that I'd never be able to buy one and the fact that I don't know the history behind those cars makes me hesitant to sell my FG and buy a turbo.

At least with my friends parts, I know the complete history since I was there when he bought it, repaired it, and took care of it.

and also this is my first car. I love my car, I've looked after it and it has in return looked after me.

My friend is offering to sell me all his parts for 8k, this includes a manual transmission with the pedal box.

If I was to go through with this, I'd want to take it somewhere to get the swap done since neither of us have time, but I don't know where to take it, I'd want someone very experienced.

so what do you think?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 4m 28d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

In general, it's NOT worth it to do... unless you've got the entire driveline and electrics to swap over and are willing to do it yourself to save on the enormous labour costs for something like that, which it sounds like you've got that mostly sorted... It'll cost heaps to get it done by a workshop, so get a quote and if you think it's worth it, then go ahead.

I didn't even know there were LTD's in the FG... if it's the same as previous LTD's it'll need a longer tailshaft etc... unless by LTD you mean "limited edition" which is just a FG XR6 with some of the factory "packs" and not much else... so will work fine in that case, of course.

ahh, my bad, yeah it's a Limited Edition. ill edit that now. (edit: cant edit the post lol)

mhh... sounds like I gotta convince my mate to help me do it, or at least do it partially and let the workshop do the rest

Edited by Gretar

• 2 weeks later...
  • WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 6m 13d
On 15/06/2023 at 10:58 PM, k31th said:

which is just a FG XR6 with some of the factory "packs" and not much else

Pffft

The best looking rims of them all

😞 I just realized that if I do this unless I get some sort of special insurance it won't be covered for the real value, it will just be a covered as an N/A.

I think I'll just sell the car and get a legit turbo, I just hope that it isn't thrashed.

You can delete this post, mods.

If you have any guides on how to properly inspect a car before purchasing, link it, or dm me. Thanks guys