Catch Can install location

Bawwxay

• Member For: 2y 2m 6d

I have recently purchased a catch can for My Ba Xr6 Turbo and was wondering where is the correct locations to plumb the in/out piping. I know one is on top of the rocker cover but that breather hose just connect straight back into the turbo crossover, so do I run the in from on top of the rocker cover and the put back into the crossover? Or do I have to block the crossover piping and plumb the out into somewhere else?
I know there has been countless posts on the forum, I just can’t seem to find them 🤣

Edited by Bawwxay

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 7m 22d

It depends. The can will have two inlets and one outlet. There are two outlets on the rocker cover, they both go to the can. You'll run the outlet on the can to atmosphere, or if you want it plumbed back you'll send it into the manifold with a one way valve or into the turbo intake pipe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know what size fitting the little plastic screw in part that connects the rocker breather tube to the crossover is? I was about to give up fitting the catch can and went to tighten the original breather back up and the little plastic adapter in the crossover snapped! Argh!

also PUFF, this catch can has two inlets and a filter on the top, nothing else.

I can’t see how this would work, I have it installed now, just with one of the pipes from the catch can inlet wedged into the crossover as a quick fix till tomorrow lol

and the other from the rocker breather to the catch can. 
here is a link to the can 

https://demonproparts.com.au/collections/ford-xr6-oil-catch-can/products/dpp-oil-catch-can-to-suit-fold-falcon-xr6

Edited by Bawwxay

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

The filter goes to atmosphere, the two lines that came with the can go to the rocker cover. There's a hole half way up the rocker cover that has the rubber doodle and there's a pcv valve at the back. Look at the pic for reference. Block any holes in the crossover that you've removed a pipe from.

Ford-Falcon_XR6_208-625x469.jpg

• Like 1

is it alright to run the pipes as I have? (One to front breather, one to crossover)
and if so, what is the correct diameter thread to get for the crossover pipe fitting I busted, as the pipe is only wedged in there lol the fittings that came with the kit don’t fit the front rocker breather and I’m not sure about the rear, so regardless of which secondary outlet I use (rear pcv or crossover) I still need something to block or fit into the crossover adapter I munted 😂🤦‍♂️

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

A catch can is designed to manage crank case gases. While it won't hurt anything running it into the non pressurised side of the crossover, it's not something you would do as it isn't designed to be used like that. Doing so will just suck crank case gas back into the intake, rendering the catch can somewhat ineffective.

Run one line from the pcv valve outlet and one line to the middle of the rocker cover. I'm sure they meant to jam it over the plastic pipe that is attached to the rubber doodle. Do what you need to do to block the crossover. Also block the hose that came off the pcv valve and tuck it out the way.

I have a crossover that I can check tomorrow for any fitting sizes etc.

• Thanks 1