Flapper mod project

hjtrbo

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 6m 4d

This is kinda stuff I love seeing on the forums. Thanks for sharing this mate, its truly awesome to see!!

Here's how I'd base my cost of a port job. It'd have to be cheaper than an external gate setup. The job would cater to the people that do not want the hassle of going external gate so it needs to be a cost effective solution. 

Basically I'm saying $400 is a pretty damn good price for something like this. If you can show proven results from this, then I'd even say you get closer to $500.

Anyhow, good stuff!

• Thanks 1

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 8m 13d

Nearly there. Made a press fit collar to lock the flapper onto the arm. Gave it a bunch of heat to get it on. Then centre punched the flapper shaft to make sure she never comes out. There is a smidge of axial and longitudinal clearance built into the connection to allow for heat expansion and to ensure a positive seal when the flap is closed.  

20220930-135429.jpg

Went to go to weld the arm on then realised I’m down some consumables on my TIG. I have placed a shim in between the flapper arm and sleeve on the inside before I weld the arm on. When done, I’ll pull the shim out and that will give me a little bit of end float to allow for heat expansion and to keep it from binding up. Anyway, close enough to call this project successful and done.

20220930-142248.jpg

Edited by hjtrbo
Spelling
  • Like 3

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 8m 13d

Yes, hoping so, that will be perfect. Pretty keen on trying out a 4 port later on once everything is shaken down and she's had a few weeks going to work and back trouble free. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 8m 3d

I've tried inverting all the boost control to run the stock solenoid to the top of the gate only. It did work but I'm sure there is a better way to do it. I've got a 4 port now so that'll be installed soon. It'll be good to have low boost in 1st and second to not blow the tyres off and also give the trans an easy life.

All the built motor action :launch:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 1y 9m 1d

A HEROIC effort by hjtrbo!

Deserving of at least a Nobel prize I think...

And I have just finished my own version of this great modification, I did pretty much the exact same thing, but in a slightly different way which proved to be a lot easier.

The turbo housing I started out with was a Chinese 1.06A/R cheapy, and the flapper that came with it was only a piddling 33mm, and the hole a wobbly off centre 26mm.

I just could not believe how small it all was !

I made a new 40mm flapper by turning down an old exhaust valve in the lathe. From a Ford V8 of course.

Dead easy to do, and it cost me nothing. I should have made it 42mm, but it ended up being 40mm. 

The valve stem was turned down to 6mm, the same as the neck on the original flapper, and the hole in the swing arm which is deliberately slightly oversize.

I first looked at doing all the machine work on the housing in a milling machine, and struck all the same problems as hjtrbo.

So I transferred the turbine housing onto the face plate of my lathe.  This has a few advantages, the biggest one being you don't need to remove the swing arm from the housing, which is a major pain. Just remove the flapper disc from the swing arm, which has to come off anyway.

Tie back the flapper arm, and its then very easy to machine both the bore and the seat face of the housing.

Just run a boring bar down the hole, making sure that the whole job is centred around the hole in the swing arm, (which is still fitted).  The original cast hole is all over the place.

I bored mine out to 36mm which should hopefully be enough for what I am doing.

Its all MUCH easier to do in a lathe than a milling machine because of the way the tool can move on the lathe cross slide.

Its also easy to get in right in under the swing arm with a facing cutter, something not really possible in a milling machine.

I ran the seat out to 42mm diameter, I could have gone maybe another millimeter or two, but as the old joke goes, it easy to remove more metal, putting it back can be a lot more complicated.

Anyhow, its all looking pretty good, and it cost me absolutely nothing to do, but being a bit cautious and slow, it took up a whole Saturday.

Many thanks to hjtrbo for providing the inspiration !!!!