Barra into custom chassis

• Member For: 2y 8m 27d

Hey All,

Firstly, im a noob to this community and forums in general. I promise I’ve looked through the forums but I can’t find the answers I’m looking for. So sorry in advance if it’s a repost of an old question.

I want to make a custom tube chassis with a Barra (something simple like a custom clubman). Since this is a ridiculous project that I might never complete I’m trying to do it in stages, so I can always cut my losses.

So, if I buy a base line falcon (BA/BF xt) for donor parts, and successfully make the tube chassis with the cradles/running gear attached. Is it simple to come back at a later stage and “bolt off” the XT running gear and “bolt on” the xr6/xr6t running gear? Or would you recommend at least getting an xr6 as a donor?

This is just for running gear, I understand there is a whole lot of wiring and tubing that is different across the 3 vehicles. And additional parts of turbo engine (turbo, intercooler etc). I’m just considering the basic gear at this point.

Regards,

paul

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 8y 5m 8d
On 31/12/2021 at 11:21 AM, Pabbzy said:

Hey All,

Firstly, im a noob to this community and forums in general. I promise I’ve looked through the forums but I can’t find the answers I’m looking for. So sorry in advance if it’s a repost of an old question.

I want to make a custom tube chassis with a Barra (something simple like a custom clubman). Since this is a ridiculous project that I might never complete I’m trying to do it in stages, so I can always cut my losses.

So, if I buy a base line falcon (BA/BF xt) for donor parts, and successfully make the tube chassis with the cradles/running gear attached. Is it simple to come back at a later stage and “bolt off” the XT running gear and “bolt on” the xr6/xr6t running gear? Or would you recommend at least getting an xr6 as a donor?

This is just for running gear, I understand there is a whole lot of wiring and tubing that is different across the 3 vehicles. And additional parts of turbo engine (turbo, intercooler etc). I’m just considering the basic gear at this point.

Regards,

paul

I can't comment on the BA/BF, but for FG falcons, the XR6 and XT are essentially the same other than cosmetics. The engines are the same, the gearboxes are the same. With the FG, if you went to the turbo version later, the gearbox and wiring will be different.

A stock FG motor would be fine for a clubman style car. Plenty of power and cheap.

• Member For: 2y 8m 27d

Thanks DJ. I ended up buying a 2005 futura (got it for 1k but has a trans issue).

I have managed to remove everything but the air con.

Im starting to realise how big the project really is.......