Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 7m 21d

Lol 280xxxkm old pistons don't like 28psi apparently. It's cracked a ringland, only slightly, but enough to breathe and drop compression in one cylinder. Still runs and drives fine, can't hear it on cranking or idle and you wouldn't know it unless you did the health checks I've done. So...I'm getting a bead blasting cabinet tomorrow to get my std forged pistons ready,  get them re-coated, gonna get a new set of rings for them, give the bores a touch up, new MLS gasket and farken send it. I think next year I'll do it more properly but for now this will do.

I'll still set up the Haltech when the cord arrives, I just won't go nuts with the WOT tuning. I'll get a head gasket ordered and pull it down when everything is ready to go. That way it'll be a 3 day process to pull the engine, rebuild it and get it back in the car and running again.

Also my roll racing video is too large for imgur and honestly it's just the car hauling arse, then not, then going like fark again. Not very exciting.

• Like 1

• Member For: 13y 11m 20d

Be interested to hear how you go with the haltech. I've tuned my other car with an elite and found it very easy compared to the other stuff I've played around with (adaptronic, link, me221, subarus, older ford eec iv). Struggling a little to get my head around how to do things with the factory ECU, but haven't done a lot yet - really need to get my spare transfer case welded up so I can get it on the 2wd dyno I have access to.

Would be interested to see that roll racing video too, some friends were there and mentioned the fast territory, figured it was you!

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Should be pretty easy, I've tuned a handful of other ECUs, several of the same as you have, including a couple of different haltech models. I've been tuning the factory pcm for years now and if you can get your head around that, anything else is childs play. There is plenty of info on the PCMTec forum, it applies to HP tuners too.

The video is really nothing special, I'll get a proper one next time and post that up.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I managed to trim the video, here it is. It doesn't look like much but the cuts were pretty violent. The last part I lifted and floored it again but the first part was wot.

• Like 4

• Member For: 7m 20d
18 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

Lol 280xxxkm old pistons don't like 28psi apparently. It's cracked a ringland, only slightly, but enough to breathe and drop compression in one cylinder. Still runs and drives fine, can't hear it on cranking or idle and you wouldn't know it unless you did the health checks I've done. So...I'm getting a bead blasting cabinet tomorrow to get my std forged pistons ready,  get them re-coated, gonna get a new set of rings for them, give the bores a touch up, new MLS gasket and farken send it. I think next year I'll do it more properly but for now this will do.

I'll still set up the Haltech when the cord arrives, I just won't go nuts with the WOT tuning. I'll get a head gasket ordered and pull it down when everything is ready to go. That way it'll be a 3 day process to pull the engine, rebuild it and get it back in the car and running again.

Also my roll racing video is too large for imgur and honestly it's just the car hauling arse, then not, then going like fark again. Not very exciting.

It sounds like you’re gearing up for a significant engine overhaul, addressing the cracked ringland with new pistons and a refreshed setup. Just as your plan to re-coat the pistons, upgrade the gasket, and carefully manage tuning will ensure your engine's performance and longevity. Best of luck with the rebuild and the Haltech setup; a well-executed process should get your car running strong again.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Ok, head gasket ordered, rings for pistons ordered and new 7/16 rod bolts ordered. I figured I'd better do the rod bolts cos they have been used 3 or 4 times now and are probably stretched too much. My Haltech cable arrived this morning so I can get to tuning the car slightly and when all the stuff arrives I'll sort the engine out. I also bought a bead blasting cabinet yesterday with some glass bead to prepare the pistons, so everything is set in motion to get it done.

• Like 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Did some driving around with the Haltech and it's pretty good straight out the box, although the timing map is more suited to E85 than 98. As I was driving and stopping a fair bit dialing things in, the car warmed up as to be expected, then it decided it was going to start cutting like it was the other day at roll racing. I had a good look at logs etc and what I can come up with now is the vct phasers are farked. There is massive cam error around the times the car plays up so that could be the issue. Any fricken way, I cbf fixing it for now, I'll wait until I do the entire engine. Eh maybe I will fix it, it doesn't take long to swap phasers lol.

• Like 1