Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 7m 9d

Hows this for some farkery? The car was trying to rev at idle and drive itself in gear and while I could get it mostly sorted by some quick changes to the idle airflow, there was no reason for those changes to be needed. First thought was an intake leak but I know there wasn't one, so where else could it be getting air from? I measured the throttle body values in Forscan with another throttle body I have, and the one on the car was open half a degree more at idle. Not much ay, but I adjusted it back down to 7.5 degrees from 7.94 degrees and it fixed it. Lol less than half a degree is enough to send your throttle body out of whack and get an ETC light.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Internet is out today, got bored, turned the car up. It was running 17psi so I sent it to 20psi and it was all good. Sent it to 24 and despite closing the gate it only made 22psi up top. It has reached the limit of the valve springs, it literally hit an imaginary wall at 5000rpm. Oh well, I'll turn it back down to 20psi and look into putting some hectic springs and retainers in it. At this rate I may as well chuck my hectic cams in it too, cos it's never fast enough apparently :declare:

• Like 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Looks like I jumped the gun, the springs are rated for 24psi and I thought they were done. Turned out I had blown a hole in a silicone coupler.

Oh well, someone has to post the downs with the ups ;)

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Fixed the boost leak by welding a pipe onto the outlet of the turbo. Turned it back up to 24psi and it loved it. Farken thing hits boost like a mofo now, like a light switch lol. 

It also tolerates 12 degrees of timing at that boost level which is unheard of on 98, so that rear housing must be night and day better than the stock housing. 

Hmmm, I wonder what would happen if I pulled some timing for safety and asked it for 30psi? Coming to you in a future episode of Puffwagon's Territory Adventures :declare:

• Like 3

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Fitted my Aquamist water meth kit today, could have done that 3 years ago but here we are lol. 

I only fitted a couple of jets to the intake pipe, it'll be enough for now. Later when things ramp up I'll do the direct port install. 

I only have to fit a few trim pieces back to the car and it's all done. Took frigging ages but you get that on a first attempt. 

I'll head down and get a 20L drum of methanol on Monday, but I'll look into getting a 200L from cos it's roughly 2/3 the price of smaller quantities.

So yerp, I'll be able to run E85 levels of timing going forward, and it made 503awkw @23psi last time I had this turbo on E85. Should be a decent upgrade.

• Like 2