Built Engine (Strange Sound)

BoostedG6E

• Member For: 6y 4m 16d

The guide looks the same just without the atomic writing on it and different colour, but im sure ive seen other atomic guides and they arent all black.

Edited by BoostedG6E

• 1 month later...

2f7b5d92c6cdc6513ba9be102dd77ad5.jpg
Pulled the engine out for a freshen up before the new turbo goes on, very lucky it was done now as we found some nice cracks on the crank. I only raced it a few weeks ago so very very lucky, could have been a sh*t show.

• Like 2

Did you ever figure out what this is? My built engine sounds the exact same and the sound doesn't go away when it's warm.
Engine is currently out for a few things in preparation for a g42, however the only issues we have come across has been the following.

-Crank has a few cracks in it, unsure how long they have been there, the noise was their from day one.
-Genuine tensioner seemed as if it was not holding enough tension on the guide and the chain had a slight movement to it.
-Two lifters where stuck in and had to be forced out.

Other than that the engine looks good so take what you will from that regarding the sound we are hearing, but as puff said most of the sound is from valve train/piston to bore clearance. I’ve thrashed the car and am confident that it’s all good, however if after getting new lifters and a new genuine tensioner and unfortunately a new crank fixes the sound I will definitely let you know if it fixes anything.
  • Like 1

• Member For: 4y 8m 13d
7 hours ago, BoostedG6E said:

Engine is currently out for a few things in preparation for a g42, however the only issues we have come across has been the following.

-Crank has a few cracks in it, unsure how long they have been there, the noise was their from day one.
-Genuine tensioner seemed as if it was not holding enough tension on the guide and the chain had a slight movement to it.
-Two lifters where stuck in and had to be forced out.

Other than that the engine looks good so take what you will from that regarding the sound we are hearing, but as puff said most of the sound is from valve train/piston to bore clearance. I’ve thrashed the car and am confident that it’s all good, however if after getting new lifters and a new genuine tensioner and unfortunately a new crank fixes the sound I will definitely let you know if it fixes anything.

Thanks for the update. Crack in the crank isn't something I've heard of very often before tbh. What harmonic balancer were you running?

Yeah very lucky, thankfully got a new crank coming tomorrow. Called ford yesterday and very surprised the quick turn around.

Currently running a Ross race series balancer.