Built Engine (Strange Sound)

BoostedG6E

• Member For: 6y 4m 16d
Mine kinda sounds like that now, and it was much worse with farked cam phasers.

I'm swapping the rocker cover tomorrow so will have some idea of what's going on.

How’d you go, Find anything that could be the cause?

Not so much a rattle, don’t really know how to explain the sound.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 7m 9d
14 hours ago, BoostedG6E said:

How’d you go

Yeah nah I didn't end up swapping the rocker cover.

Yours sounds like piston slap, now that I listen to it again. You'll be able to hear the engine/pistons better from the exhaust side as the injectors usually make a bit of a racket on the intake side.

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 4y 8m 13d
On 19/10/2020 at 8:52 AM, BoostedG6E said:

Hey all, thought I may aswell post in the same thread,
That first sound has seemed to go away since I got the tune done. Now I have a different sound that I could always hear but couldn’t seem to hear to much in the first video.

It doesn’t seem to affect anything in the aspect of how it drives, I’ve driven the car pretty hard with zero issues. Just wanting to know if it’s something people have heard before and have any insight on what it could be. This sound does go away after 2500rpm, the lower the idle the louder it is.

Did you ever figure out what this is? My built engine sounds the exact same and the sound doesn't go away when it's warm.

Nah never figured it out, I’ve thrashed the car and raced it a few times with no issues at all. About to put a new turbo so going to go over the engine to check it as I never actually pulled it down when I bought it of the bloke who crashed their car. Once I pull it down I will post if I find anything, I’ve always thought it’s potentially timing gear related but not sure. Would you mind also putting a video of yours I wouldn’t mind comparing actually.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 7m 9d

The ticking is the injectors, that is the sound that doesn't go away when it warms up. Myself and a mate have 2200cc injectors and they are noisy as fark.

The top end clattering noise is the valve train and that noise usually doesn't go away completely. If your cam phasers are worn they will make noise. They can be taken apart and milled or sanded flat to give them a good seal again.

The noise you hear on start up that is a fair tapping/clapping noise is piston slap and that will quieten down when it warms up.

Most forged pistons will have a 4 thou piston to bore clearance and that makes them noisy as fark as they rock back and forth in the bore. We run an offset wrist pin (#wristies) to counteract the rocking motion but it's still there. You can reduce the clearance at the machine shop to make them quieter but you run the risk of scuffing the pistons and bores when the car gets a hiding. You can use a coating to reduce clearance and that works pretty good. Even reducing it to 3.5 thou makes the engine much quieter.

A noisy engine is just part of the process when you start changing parts and using different materials for those parts.

Keep an ear on your engines lads and don't stress unless something changes significantly.

Final bit of advice that needs to be followed, do not floor it with a built motor until it's fully warmed up. It'll wear it out a lot quicker if you do, there's reasons but that can be for a different novel :bookworm:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for that excellent write up, apprecaite the input. @Tawfxr6t I currently have the egnine out to get it fire ringed and grout the block, if I do find anything worrying while going over it all I will let you know.

• Like 2