e85 fuel filters

• Member For: 11y 7m 9d

Hey looking for some advice on the fuel filter when running e85.. Should I be getting a reusable one or is it best just to use the stock paper one and replace it more often (how often does it need to be replaced with intermittent tanks of e85?)

What reusable ones have people out there used? There is a golebys part for $90 or earls for around $180, they are both 40 micron so should be same same?

Is 40 micron acceptable? Theres  a KPM one which is finer again but its like 300 bucks which seems a bit ridiculous to me

Thanks in advance

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 9m 10d

paper oem ones are fine, mine gets replaced yearly or 6 monthly depending on usage etc

the golebys or the earls ones are fine with cleanable filters. 

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 8d

This a cheaper alternative.  Just replace the filter with 10 micron.  40 is not suitable for fuel injectors .

The glue in the stock filter has been known to breakdown with E85

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/AEROFLOW-FORD-FALCON-FUEL-FILTER-AF66-2056-SERVICABLE-40-MICRON-ELEMENT-Z373-/182379749301

Edited by arronm
  • Like 2

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
On 26/03/2018 at 1:39 PM, arronm said:

This a cheaper alternative.  Just replace the filter with 10 micron.  40 is not suitable for fuel injectors .

The glue in the stock filter has been known to breakdown with E85

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/AEROFLOW-FORD-FALCON-FUEL-FILTER-AF66-2056-SERVICABLE-40-MICRON-ELEMENT-Z373-/182379749301

if 40 not suitable why are all the aftermarket ones  40 then?

• Member For: 18y 4m 10d

I also run a 10 micro filter, for just that reason. While researching the topic, I found conflicting information on the use of the use of paper elements with E85. After discussing the topic with my engine guy, I decided to installed a stainless unit, with the biggest filter surface area that I could find..

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 8m 6d

Here is some anecdotal evidence for what ever it is worth.

I haven't measured sfa. I haven't compared various hole sizes.

What I can say is that I've replaced 3 fuel filters in approximately 300 litres of "e85". They were all ryco filters from sprints. I don't know how fine the filters are. 

I noticed that some injector filters were harder to blow through than others after this time. This is concerning for me but without measuring might not be a big deal.

With this small amount of evidence and other experiences I think that there is a lot of "dirt" in the tank and lines in some vehicles.

I think that filter size is more related to the hardware rather than the fuel type.

Ideally our fuel is clean but clearly this varies from servo to servo. 

In my experience alcohol doesn't have "bits" in it but I don't trust my local servo.

I think this is enough to wrap up my thoughts. I could be wrong lol. 

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
On 28/03/2018 at 10:15 PM, HI PSI said:

I also run a 10 micro filter, for just that reason. While researching the topic, I found conflicting information on the use of the use of paper elements with E85. After discussing the topic with my engine guy, I decided to installed a stainless unit, with the biggest filter surface area that I could find..

what did you get?