Diff = Cooked

jimbog

• Member For: 7y 2m 8d

Hey guys, so my '13 xr6t ute diff is completely cooked. Had it looked at by the boys at nizpro and the LSD is basically non existent, metal shards have torn through the left seal and it's pissing oil all over the wheel. So basically, I need to replace it asap as it starts grinding and thumping within 15 minutes of driving. I'm not sure what to do though, do I get a new one from Ford for $3.6k (ford quote) including axels etc. Or is there something better to upgrade to? Or do I just go cheaper and get a diff shop to fit a reco'd one in? Do I bite the bullet and get a second hand one from the wreckers and hope I hit the jackpot? I don't really know much about diffs, so any suggestions are appreciated. Cost isn't really an issue as it's an expensive fix either way.

What's the go with trutrac? Ute's stock btw

Cheers

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 5m 27d

if you've already had it looked at by a well known shop, did they give you any advice? their advice would pretty much be spot on, you'd hope.

Kind of, they just said I'm best going with a brand new diff from ford, or I can go the lucky dip and get one from the wreckers. I just wanna be 100% sure it's the best option before I go out and spend over $4k on a diff + install lol.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

well, obviously a brand-new one from ford will bring it back up to brand-new spec... but at that price, it's ridiculous and they should know that.

If it's still within warranty, get a ford one. Otherwise, get a tru-trac. @JETURBO can price you up a good one. Or go to a wrecker and get one, as it's obviously going to be the cheapest option.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 15d

For that much go wavetrac or trutrac with new gears and ims twin bush hat replacement.

Then be amazed at how the car drives

11 minutes ago, k31th said:

well, obviously a brand-new one from ford will bring it back up to brand-new spec... but at that price, it's ridiculous and they should know that.

If it's still within warranty, get a ford one. Otherwise, get a true-trac. @JETURBO can price you up a good one. Or go to a wrecker and get one, as it's obviously going to be the cheapest option.

Warranty is long gone. From what I've read, trutrac is the way to go. But is that all I'd need to buy? Take it to a diff shop and get them to gut my diff and replace it with this? and off I go? https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/detroit-truetrac-m86-30-spline

6 minutes ago, sixman said:

For that much go wavetrac or trutrac with new gears and ims twin bush hat replacement.

Then be amazed at how the car drives

New gears as in replace the current 2.73 with new 2.73? cause I wanna keep the standard 2.73 as ive been told changing gears comes with a whole new range of issues

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

yes, you can just fit the stock diff with replacement gears, if that's what the broken part actually is, but it sounds like you need a whole new/replacement diff.

if you buy a new/replacement diff, then take it to a mechanic to fit and that's it.

Sorry man, I'm confused. Were you saying to buy a reco'd diff with truetrac already installed? Is that what jeturbo would do for me? Or get truetrac put in after I get the new/replacement diff

I'm a diff noob, I really have nfi about them apart from them burning my pockets

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

jet can get you a good price on new parts so you can figure out whether it's worth your money to buy new.

go to a wrecker nearby to you for good prices on old same/same replacement parts.

go to your favourite mechanic to fit the parts you decide to buy or fit them yourself if you're mechanically inclined.

• Like 1