Fg Offsets And Tyre Questions

Dillz

• Member For: 12y 5m 1d

G'day XR09.

I won't necessarily widen the track. With a +42 it may in fact narrow it.

From a starting point of a 245x35/19 tyre on a 19 x 8 FPV wheel (not sure what the base FPV offset is - anyone help with this?) it may be very similar.

Imagine a standard FPV 19 x 8 wheel has - let's say - 30mm of clearance from the inside rim edge to the control blade, and also 30mm of clearance from the outside rim edge to the top of the guard. That's an inch and a bit of clearance on the inside and the outside.

If we then fit a 19 x 10 with the same-as-factory offset and a wider tyre. We've just used 24.5mm from our inside clearance, and 24.5mm from the outside as well. The track stays the same.

Remember, you measure track by measuring from the centre of the tread on one side of the car to the centre of the tread on the other side of the car, so you can put wider - or narrower wheels/tyres on your car - but if you always maintain the factory wheel offset the track will always be identicle.

To be honest with you though XR09, I'm more concerned with the tyres rubbing and getting a comfortable ride, but that's just because - as my mate would say - I'm old. :-)

I had the car lowered about 50mm and I've just last Tuesday raised it up a bit to chase comfort - and funnily enough - it actually handles better this way.

Cheers.

• Pitlane Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 4m 18d

Thanks Smooth!

I think because the spokes extend to the outer edge of the rim the rockstars don't look too small. I have found that with 245/35's on the front and 275/30's on the rear that the rears actually look bigger, and some people have thought that they look like 22's. I have the federal 595 evo's and the 275's seem massive for a 275.

As far as legalities go, in victoria you can only go 1 inch wider than the maximum standard wheel width.

I had the Federal 595 Evos as well. They are a very wide 275. I always thought they looked good, and as far as a general/sporty'ish use tyre - I think they're ok.

I gotta say though, the Nitto Invos absolutely kill. I love 'em. Best tyre I think I've ever driven on, and there doesn't seem to be a downside - yet.

They're smooth, quiet, tonnes of grip, they've got a killer tread pattern, good price. I don't see a problem there - maybe the supply?

They can be hard to find in stock. I'm sure as the rep grows they'll be everywhere.

I know what you mean about some wheels looking like 22s. When I got my FG XR8 a couple of years ago, it had 20" Dark Argents with 235x30/20s. As I found out about a week later the tyres were actually illegal because they had too low a load rating - so the dealer had to buy me 4 brand new tyres. :-)

Because the side wall was so low and the wheels have a machined 5mm edge they looked huge.

As far as the legalities in Vic goes - that just shows me that the law hasn't kept up with progress. eg. It's illegal to use a mobile phone or GPS while driving, but it says nothing about a tablet like an ipad etc... Sorry, of topic just a smidge.

BTW. My insurance company says my 20s are fine - they didn't ask about the width. And XR09 mentioned the track width, not the wheel/tyre width. :-)

• Member For: 15y 6m 22d

You can increase track width by 25mm without approval, so you can run offsets ranging from 23 to 35 (or 24 to 36?), can never remember the stock offsets.

Also you can't reduce the wheel track unless you have approval from the relevant Registration Authority.

Edited by winstor

Thanks gents.

I've learnt a heap reading this thread from the start.

Hopefully my new 20x8.5 & 20x10 hyper silver Lenso D1Rs will be on the GT next Thursday with my current 245x35 & 275x30 Nitto Invos.

I'll get 245x30 & 295x25s soon though. :-)

Can I just ask though...

It says I can only post 10 times today - I assume that's because I'm new?

Also, how I do attach photos to my posts? Sometimes it's simpler to show a pic that to type a heap of drivel.

Thanks winstor. I'm not sure but I think that's just the fine print stuff that most people don't worry too much about.

As long as the wheels/tyres look good, perform better and don't scrape or wear badly I think most people are happy with that.

I think in general... If your car doesn't look too low, doesn't sound too loud, doesn't look too extreme, and all the panels are the same colour then I think most plod wouldn't even know or care.

Like Tra1nrs white G6Et and CHLAXNs Nitro FG ute, and some others I've seen in this thread - they look great, very neat, they're great looking cars that look like they were modified properly and professionally, so probably aren't cop magnets.

Having said that, I live in Victoria so it seems to me that you can quite happily drive around in an un-roadworthy, un-registered pile of crap with bald tyres, cut springs, no seat belt, faulty lights, talking on a mobile phone, not using indicators and driving in the right hand lane on the ring rd or freeways...

But as long as you don't go more than 3k's over the speed limit, you're fine because speed cameras can't see all that other stuff!!

Sorry, I was just venting, but I think you get my point. :-)

• Like 1

Guest XR09
  • Guests

The ferals suck. Sorry but they are not a great tyre. They bring out the worst of the noise from the rear and elcclectic handling at best in the dry and absolute dog poo in the wet.

Sorry just wondering about the width. I would like to go 35 pro all round but my tyre man says if I do a stupid and the assesor is in a bad mood it can cost me a claim.

I asked my broker and he will get back to me ..................... asswipe.

Std FPV rim I am led to believe is a 32 offset. Have nothing in the manual to confirm that.

I honestly didn't find the 595 Evos that bad. Only when I got the Invos did the Federals look average in comparison.

Right now though, I'd recommend Nitto Invos to anyone. I love 'em.

Thanks MexicanBatman, nice car. But it doesn't show me HOW to add a pic to a post, it only shows me that YOU know how to add a pic to a post.

Cheers. :-)

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 30d

That gt is schmexy.