My XR6 Turbo

NathanB

• Member For: 11y 4m 23d

My XR6 Turbo - A 2007 BF MkII (07 build date) sedan 

I bought this car recently thinking I got lucky and had found a winner after looking for a couple of months. It just so happened that my usual mechanic knew the guys who were selling it and it made me feel at ease. I trusted what everyone said and even had my mechanic check it out just to be sure. It felt great and I couldn't fault it...until now.

I thought I had done my research but just when I thought everything was sweet I decided to just be extra sure and get a second opinion.

Just to give some background I was told the car had certain mods and they all seemed  legit and logical as I was told by the performance workshop who last worked on/tuned/modified/serviced the car that the owner was anal retentive and wanted the car to be reliable which I believed even though there were no receipts/dyno sheets to be seen.

So I decided to bite the bullet and see someone who knows a little bit about xr6 turbos in the form of Nizpro here in melb. Couldn't be more pleased with the service and knowledge the guys have on tap and are also really upfront and friendly.

They put the car on the dyno for me and they also checked a couple of things and lo and behold what did they find but a sh*tty tune and mods that I have been told are more of the budget orientation.

I was pretty disappointed at first but then really happy because the $225 I spent on getting the guys to look at it for me may have just saved me the cost of a new motor/turbo.

To give you an idea of how bad things can get - the car made 260rwkw (I was told it was making ~280rwkw so that's forgivable...kinda) it was pulling down to 1 degree of timing and the fuel trims were pegged at the maximum which I was told was 30%. Not only that but the car at 12psi had lamda values going from .95ish heading linearly down through the revs to around .70. I was told "It's pinging its head off and I don't want to do another power run".

So the moral of the story is to not trust anyone (at least not without proof like me) and have things checked by people in the know. Needless to say I think Nizpro have won me over as a permanent customer from here on in. 

So what's next? Well an Xcal4 and a new tune is first with possibly other little things depending on what Steve recommends/thinks. However buying a house is happening almost as we speak so no/low boost for me below 4000rpm grandma driving until I can sort the new tune and xcal out. 

Really can't speak highly enough of the service I got from Nizpro (Simon and Dave) from the email response to talking me through everything wrong with the mods/tune for what I want out of the car.

I have no-one but myself to blame but hey we all live and learn.

Can post pics of the car if anyone is interested/cares.

This forum is going to be like a second home for me I think until I'm happy with the car.

Cheers,

Nathan

P.S. Would also love to hear peoples thoughts on where to purchase an xcal4 from either from Nizpro or used or from somewhere else like online as I'd rather do it sooner rather than later.

• Get It To Wheelspin Uncontrolably Then Give It Another 5 Pounds
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 13y 11m 26d

yup, I would go through Nispro as well, get it through them and get their tune. 

Spend some time here, as you have already mentioned, and you will gain a lot of insight to others ideas, thoughts and experiences. Lot of good people on here.... saved me thousandths.

:useless: 

Edited by Krazy Kyle

Man lucky you caught it when you did.  Im looking at buying and going through this now with a car claimed at 400wkw but not an ounce of proof or details, but have found out today its been retuned this week sso going to ring the workshop directly for the once over. 

Its extremly hard to buy cars like these and I can say now ive looked at 13 cars in turbo all claiming and providing info thaat 85% of it isnt right. 

It sucks!

Local to you would be nizpro. Dont buy 2nd hand from some muppet either get a brand spanker so you dont have any drama. 

Cheers for all the late night replies...I'm searching now for prices on xcals and honestly its pretty bare unless I look at one from the states which wouldnt save me that much either. I'll probably go brand new through Nizpro.

photos for those interested :imsohappy:

album 

4 minutes ago, k31th said:

Do not buy from the USA, it won't work on our cars. 

Good info I had no idea. definitely going to go new then I think.

:imsohappy:

Ps thanks for fixing the link

Edited by NathanB
thanks be to keith

• Member For: 8y 4m 28d

This is why I bought a complete stock car. I'll do what I want to it and know it's done the right way. Too many snakes out there trying to move busted cars on. Best thing to do with a modded one is to arrange to take it to a tuner of your choice and get them to check it out and run it up on the dyno to make sure. 

• Like 1