FGX XR6 TURBO ute reverse camera installation

06Turbo

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3d

Has anyone installed a reversing camera in a FGX Xr6 turbo Ute please. 

I know the territory's reverse camera can be used on the Fg mark 1&2 but haven't heard of anyone installing one in an FGX ute

Thanks

Edited by 06Turbo

• 3 months later...
  • Inactive Members
  • Member For: 12y 10m 24d

Just saw this question, and even though it's 3 months old now, I'll reply anyway. I have installed a reverse camera in my FG X ute. I bought the kit from ASL and ran all the wires from the camera, under the car and into the cabin myself. I then paid an auto elec to hook it into the ICC. It's basically a couple of wires with pins that hook into an existing plug under the top cover. Once hooked up, a plug is inserted into the OBD port to flash the module into the car's computer. Wasn't cheap but works like factory setup when reverse is selected.

I'm dyslexic and cannot turn off simple functions in tapatalk

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Thanks for replying Barry,  sounds like you have done an excellent job and well thought out,  I've only just got home from a trip from Wollongong to Dubbo and back and have now clocked up 3,300klms on the beast ( picked ute up in October 2015),  victory gold fgx xr6 turbo ute  ( luxury pack) with colour coded hard cover,  tow bar and tinted windows,  it's get very well looked after.

These thing are a fantastic touring car,  I've own several turbos including 2 x  740 turbo HP (manual & automatic) a very under rated car.

But this FGX is a brute, I owned a TC Cortina wagon with the old factory 250ci engine in my younger days ( I'm 58 now) and it all but twisted the body shell but thanks to Selby suspension and Dunlap super sport tyres made it handle at least.

I'll look into your ASL kit and go from there.

When you put your ute in reverse do the guide lines come up on the dash screen or picture of what's behind the car only? 

If possible can you please put put photos up.

Many thanks for your reply and job well done

• 1 month later...
  • Donating Members

Job done , got the reverse sensors and reverse camera done to victory gold fgx xr6 turbo ute, screen is wired and synched to factory computer so it is exactly same as sedan on screen and in behaviuor

The three coloured grid lines come up on screen and represent distances of 300mm , starting furthest out at 900mm then 600mm then up close at 300mm.

The reverse sensor buzzer/beeper increases in speed as the distance reduces as usual same as sedan.

Flush mount camera is installed centrally in bumper.

Photos to follow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Donating Members

Wasn't cheap but wanted the same as factory sedan has and a system that actually worked well.

I'm very pleased with the way it works as they placed the sensors slightly into the corner radius of rear bumper so that when reverse parking and turning the sensors actually pick up anything within 900mm that's to the side of the rear of the car.  

Still trying to work out how to put photos in with text