My bf xr6 turbo ute build

unmarkedf6

• Member For: 11y 6m 26d

Hey guys thought I'd share my bf xr6 turbo manual ute. Was previously making 378kw till the fuzz defected me. Was running 80lb injectors, in tank herrod 265lph fuel pump, aps intercooler, x force full exhaust and high flowed( 64mm gtx wheel )standard turbo. And a heavy duty clutch that barely held up with the hell I put it through!

so I lost interest in just repairing it. Now I've pulled the engine out and am currently rebuilding it! I went with spool rods, Ross forged Pistons, crank girdle, main studs atomic timing chain tensioner and chain and aftermarket oil pump so far. I'm still sussing a few things out with the top end besides valve springs obviously

driveline will be another issue but I'll deal with that when I get there hahaha

goal with the engine is to have a powerful, yet still drive able daily driver, (ideally 480+kW) being a manual limits my choice of turbo and drivability. I'll figure that out later here's some pics let me know what you think!

also included parts of my timing guides which fell apart and (I think) caused a rattle on cold start up!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 29d

Your parts list is almost identical to mine.

Go arp head studs, atomic washers, single layer head gasket and some e85. Or if your super serious go 14mm studs but that's more money.

Nice twin plate clutch and you will be ready to go.

• Like 1

I thought Pistons would be the weak point before the head lifting? How much power do people push through these setups? I figured I wouldn't go any harder than about 550-600kw?

Really considering the gtx4294 size options. A lot of my mates with xr6 turbos have done the gtx35 thing so that seems like the norm to me now. Not gonna be going to the drags just want a fun street car

what do you guys reckon? Or is there a low mount option with a ~68mm compressor wheel or something?

update on the engine, currently getting the block bored and decked and getting a second check on crank and tunnel measurements while its there. Been told it should be all done, mid next week. Can't wait!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Are they really laggy through a manual or bearable? Should I be going smaller than 1.01 for the rear housing size?

update. All machining and clearances checked and double check, now I've just got a bill for all the machining ? I'm still undecided on cams. I've bought an fg engine to use the head and a couple bits and pieces.

image.jpeg

• Member For: 18y 3m 25d

We have done  only a few hours of road tuning with my build. And we're starting to see positive boost pressure at 2,200 rpm with my GTX4202R. Given that we haven't done anything (Yet) to assist spool, I think that they are capable of being very drivable and diverse turbo. 

I have opted for an Atomic stage III cam, as we're going spend a lot of time playing with cam timing and retaining the VCT's just has so many benifits.  Primarily,  I really want the car to have good manners and economy. But, we are expecting to see a lot more torque in both the low and mid range and a faster spool and higher overall hp. 

• Like 1