Modding Your Fg Xr6/g6E Turbo Take 2

MattyP

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 9m 17d

I have been using catrol edge 0w-40 since the car got tuned.

That is what monsta torque use and so I do the intermittent services using the same product.

Maybe check with tuner as to what they use when they do your 15k service?

All down to personal choice as everyone has said.

• Member For: 12y 7m 8d

Off topic... How's the new bike demon?

Yeah goin good Wilko. Got a tail tidy, termignoni carbon pipes, ECU and filter on it already. Picking the wife up a bike this weekend also!

Mobil 1 that's good stuff, quiet pricey though isnt it

Yeah Matty. I normally just waiting till its on special and buy up. works out to be around 90ish for 5L.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 12y 4m 13d

Only if your doing a few power runs. If its 40 out its going to be affected regardless of IC size. A good IC can only remove heat to ambient. but yes the standard one is very prone to heat soak

• Member For: 11y 6m 21d
53 minutes ago, kokentoe said:

Question - how much does heat affect the performance of the FG turbo (stock)? Let's say on a 40 degree day and you have been driving for a while. Does a bigger intercooler help?

Heat affects them hugely. Mine pulls soooo much power back when it's over about 30 degrees. At 40 degrees I don't even bother driving hard it's that slow plus it's probably terrible for the car in general. At 40 degrees I can have my foot flat in any gear and keep traction (have semi slicks though which would be nice and sticky cos of the heat). At 20 degrees or less it will just spin through first and second with flat foot 

Having a bigger intercooler does help I notice a bit of power comes back if I go for a drive at 100kmh or whatever on freeway and get heaps of air through the cooler but slow speeds it stays hot. Didn't notice that with the stock cooler, when it was hot it was slow and didn't get power back until the outside temperature dropped.