Fg Xr6T Feels "different"

GKGSJQKS

• Banned
  • Member For: 9y 4m 5d

Hey guys,

I have a 2014 FG XR6 Turbo MKII with just over 9000km and it has been a pleasure to drive since the day of purchase. Very recently I have noticed that the car feels somewhat different in the way it drives. From my observations I believe it is slightly lacking in power. Before it would break traction when accelerating from a stop and you'd feel the boost coming on hard, but now it's almost linear in a sense and barely struggles for grip if at all. It still gets up to speed quick but the question being, is it as quick as it was? Something is telling me no and there is an issue causing it to behave differently. There is no check engine light coming on and I plugged one of those scan tools in which read no codes. Could there be a boost leak somewhere? Is there anything in particular that tends to fail with these models, even as new as the car is? Also, I'm not sure if it's just me but the turbo seems to sound louder now as it spools up. I was driving the car fairly hard over the past week but recently I wasn't pushing it whatsoever, keeping the revs low and just cruising to save on fuel and I'm always using 98 of course from BP. It's unlikely to be the ECU readjusting from the driving style? Anyway if anyone has any ideas on what the problem could be I would appreciate the feedback.

Cheers, Jack.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 5m 3d

Being a turbo car, they can be temperamental, where you might give it a hit one day and think wow this thing rips (breaking traction and all…)

Then the next day you give it another hit and you don’t get the same rush, and you feel underwhelmed…the car still pulls, but not as hard as the day before…

Could be the fuel you use…could be the knock sensors taking timing out, could even be a boost leak…(could be allot of things…)

If it’s a drastic change then it could be a boost leak etc…

• Banned

Being a turbo car, they can be temperamental, where you might give it a hit one day and think wow this thing rips (breaking traction and all…)

Then the next day you give it another hit and you don’t get the same rush, and you feel underwhelmed…the car still pulls, but not as hard as the day before…

The thing is that the car was consistently performing to the same level for a good 3 months of driving. I admit that I have gotten used to the acceleration but something is ever so slightly off, which was enough for me to pick up on it.

Is it the heat coming into summer? They don't go well when it's hot

I can rule heat out as a possible factor because I went for a quick fang last night while the temperature was quite cool and again this morning.

Heat, boost solenoid clean. Popped a clamp, split a pipe.

Could be any of the latter. Will look into it with my mate and see if we can find anything.

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 9m 27d

boost solenoid wont need a clean after 9000 kays the whole car is basically new

I checked mine after about 30 000kays was clean as a whistle still

if you think theres a prob, chuck it on a dyno, and while your there do a few mods.

most likely in your head and your used to the 'rush' of initially owning a xr

• Like 2

• Banned

I forgot to mention, I have a K&N filter 33-2950 which was fitted less than 3 weeks ago. I was told that some of these filters come pre oiled and that oil isn't good for forced induction as it can get sucked in. Keeping this in mind, when I got the filter I had a good look at it and it did not appear to be oiled, only greased around the edges which I wiped off anyway, so I went and fitted it. After speaking to my mate, he has made me question whether or not this was a good idea as he was saying you wouldn't be able to see the oil once it's set but isn't 100% certain. Is this the case? Do these specific filters come pre oiled? If so, could this be the issue and would there be any damage done? I'm a bit worried now...

I just looked this up on the website:

14. Do K&N air filters come pre-oiled or must they be oiled before using?

First, determine what filtering material your air filter is built with by looking at the Product Specifications on the product details page for your air filter part number on the K&N website.

Synthetic air filters do not use any filter oil at all.

Most cotton air filters come from the factory pre-oiled and ready to install. Certain specialty and racing filters are manufactured as unoiled filters and will be clearly indicated as such. Check the Product Specifications on the product details page for your air filter on the K&N website to see if it requires oil.