Lower Control Arm Balljoint And Rear Control Blade Bushes

rollex

• Member For: 10y 3m 11d

I need to replace this balljoint as it is shagged. Workshop I normally go to said they will only replace the whole arm (new bushes and ball joint) as they have found when you press the balljoint out it opens up slightly which means it is at a much higher risk of failing and they said due to safety they won't do it anymore.

Anyone else heard of this? Pedders will do it for $160 just the ball joint, the other place wants ~$550 to replace the arm (including new balljoint and bushes), the issue is I should really do both sides which at $1100 is a fair wack of money. I also need to find out if this is just OEM bushes as well.

Also I got prices for fitting rear control blade (front) bush, $460 at pedders and $300 at the workshop I normally go to. Can get superpro bushes for $195

What would you do, is doing all the lower control arm bushes something worth doing anyway?

Edited by rollex

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 24d

Assume its BA/BF? If so I think Phil did a wtite up...but I'm guessing you're like me and not very good with tools?

I think theres only a few rear bushes you can do without dropping the cradle?

I personally only change bushes when I'm told they are bad lol but a few on here have gone the whole hog I.e. superpro rear and front kits.

Hopefully someone wise on here can answer your questions lol

edit: Yes it is a BF MKII

You can do the ball joint yourself if you take the whole arm out of buy a mini in car press, one is more expensive than paying someone, the other is too much work. Also with my lack of good tools, big press, jack etc f*cked if I'm going to drop the rear cradle by myself. I'm more than happy to pay someone these days.

But yeah the question is, is there really a safety issue pressing the old ball joint out, and if not is doing the lower bushes so worth doing that I might as well do the arms anyway?

Edited by rollex

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 27d

How many km's on the car? I understand the concern but it's something I would consider on the second or third change and the interferance between the ball joint and arm is reduced each time it's press out/in.

You don't need to drop the rear end for control blades. $460 (p&l?) is reasonable. $300 for labour seems a little step unless they are charging $150 an hour as on a hoist it wouldn't take 2 full hours to do.

$460 and $300 are both labour only quotes. Those bushes are $195 after some shopping around, can't see them cheaper than $220 on ebay so the total would be $195 + $300 to change. Superpro quote 3 hours minimum labour to change, they suggest 4 hours is reasonable for their "competition use" bushes so it doesn't seem that outrageous as most workshops charge $80-100/hr.

Car has 190,000kms on it, how many changes would that ball joint have seen over its normal log book service life? The log book has been filled out all the way up to 180,000 km.

Do the lower bushes f*ck out often enough to bother just changing the arm anyway?

Cheers for the advice

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 5m 12d

Take it to sa suspension in pooraka......

(I think you were in SA - I think)

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 5m 12d

????

Got charged 780 for front radius arm and control blade bushes (all whiteline) and wheel align 6 months ago

Edited by BenDoCo

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 15d

For my F6X I just buy my own parts online and get Pedders to install them. The lower control arms complete L&R cost me $195 delivered from Ebay (Pedders wanted $560!) and the front radius arm bushes I bought the Whiteline brand for $122 delivered also from ebay (Pedders were also double the price on those)...

Pedders labour is cheap so I go to them!