Fg Mk2 Turbo Ute Issues - Advice

Mothergoose

• Member For: 16y 3m 5d

Battery came back as being all good so they advised possible remote key battery or something with specific with icc.

Take the car to a battery place (eg Battery World) http://www.whitepages.com.au/business-listing/battery-world-872867

They'll put their Midtronics gadget on, which will indicate what CCA that the battery currently has (eg the battery might be rated for 550CCA, but only have 400CCA).

ie

Either that, of get hold of an older style battery load tester.

I've just bought one of these:

Edited by PhilMeUp

• Member For: 11y 9m 8d

The oem battery in yours (that's of course if its a ford battery) is only 430 or 440 cca, cant excactly remember which one but it will be either. Seriously too small for our cars, I suspect a $$$ thing, turf it and go bigger.it was the first thing I did, mine was brand new and flashed the low volt warning, went to a 600 cca, no probs since, that was 2 and a half yrs ago

• Member For: 9y 9m 8d

Hi All,

I could do with some advice on what to do with regard some issues I'm having with my fg mk2 turbo ute I picked up 5 weeks ago.

Car is 2013, auto and was purchased from grand toyota in wangara wa.

Recently I've noticed the fuel gauge only goes up to 3/4 full when I brim the tank and the icc displays 'low battery' on occasion when starting the car. In addition I have creaking suspension coming from the rear end upon take off and deceleration. (I'm presuming from the leaf springs) Also icc has really excessive noise on iPod. (I know this is pretty common but I think it's a bit extreme!)

Having spent many hours searching the forum I think the battery may be on its way out ? and maybe the leafs need greasing but my question is should I take it back to toyota who sold it to me or next door to nuford wangara and request it to be looked at under warranty?

Car was originally purchased by previous owner at Titan ford, had its first service there then second service was carried out by toyota prior to sale. I'm hoping they don't use this as an excuse to not honour the warranty.

Any advice would be gratefully received! Sorry for the long post!

The fuel issues sounds like what I had, end up being a faulty fuel signal sender and Ford replaced that and the fuel pump for free. Be careful, I ran out of fuel going down the freeway at 110km and the car shut down very scary, no brakes!! When NRMA towed my car the Roadside assistant said he knows of lots of FG Utes doing the same thing. Gauge says 1/4 filled but tank dry. We put in some fuel and it kicked over. When I took it to my dealer they seemed to know exactly what the issue was, like they see it a lot.

Get it checked bud.

Edited by Nitrofgxr6t
  • Like 1

• Member For: 9y 6m 1d

Well you called it phil/damo6/barnz

Hit up battery world in Welshpool today and got it tested came back only putting out 395 cca's which in the words of the tech is "pretty poor!"

He's priced me up a century that will fit the bill nicely and I'll collect and change out next week.

Have to say if anyone is looking for a quality unbiased service go see mickey at Welshpool battery world not only did he do the midtronics test he also load tested the car, checked the alternator and took the time to explain, in laymans terms, how it all works. Good bloke.

Thanks for the call Guys now to sort the squeak and trim!

The fuel issues sounds like what I had, end up being a faulty fuel signal sender and Ford replaced that and the fuel pump for free. Be careful, I ran out of fuel going down the freeway at 110km and the car shut down very scary, no brakes!! When NRMA towed my car the Roadside assistant said he knows of lots of FG Utes doing the same thing. Gauge says 1/4 filled but tank dry. We put in some fuel and it kicked over. When I took it to my dealer they seemed to know exactly what the issue was, like they see it a lot.

Get it checked bud.

Thanks mate I will!

I had a similar thing happen to me in uk. My triton decided to bust a fuel hose whilst traveling home and dropped half a tank of diesel over the road causing brake loss etc! Ended up stranded in a dodgy service area at night known for (how do I put this delicately) intimate liaisons between strangers! Can certainly say it was an interesting wait lol.

Well picked up car from ford today and was told leaf spring shackles were loose so have been tightened and that has fixed the issue. The trim needs to be ordered in from over East and will be a two week wait.

As for noisy icc apparently it's fine and it's my cable that's the issue ;) hmmm I think not.

Drove out the garage and on to my next stop no squeaking. Got back into the car and drove off again and guess what? Squeaking is back!

I took it straight back and was told they would take another look when the trim is in but If it gets worse to come back and see them. I'm not annoyed just was hoping it would be sorted now and I could continue to enjoy the car.

Anyway they have promised to get to the bottom of it so we will see how it goes!

• Member For: 16y 3m 5d

Well picked up car from ford today and was told leaf spring shackles were loose so have been tightened and that has fixed the issue.

Ahhhhh.... how does one tighten leaf spring shackle bushes?

Have a look through this: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11428368

Shackle bushes are just simple bits of rubber. They don't squeak. They don't exactly come loose.

If you've got rear end squeaking then it's likely the handbrake.

There is a clip that holds the handbrake shoes in place. If the clip is bent then there will be squeaking.

To see how the handbrake works, have a look through:

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/88405-photo-essay-babf-ute-wagon-rear-axle-bearing-replacement/

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11428368

There will be some photos in my Tornado thread as well, from when I replaced the rear axle bearings:

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/89684-2006-fpv-tornado-f6-ute-cleanup-resurrection/

Info about the spare wheel winch: Check it. Make sure that you keep tension on the cable at all times so that it doesn’t go loose inside the casing and jam up.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/89473-photo-essay-falcon-ute-spare-wheel-winch

BF_Wagon_Diff_Replacement_14_23_9_2014.j

Edited by PhilMeUp

Hmmm I feel like I may have been had over! Even as he was saying it I was thinking "remember phil's comments"

But when I drove away and nothing immediate I thought happy days.

I did say to them maybe check handbrake but I never followed it up.

Damm it I feel like a right noooob now lol! I'll read through those threads tonight and jack up the car this weekend to have a proper look around.

I'm no mechanic but the info you've provided will really help.

Cheers for that. :)