Fg Mk2 Turbo Ute Issues - Advice

Mothergoose

• Member For: 9y 6m 1d

Hi All,

I could do with some advice on what to do with regard some issues I'm having with my fg mk2 turbo ute I picked up 5 weeks ago.

Car is 2013, auto and was purchased from grand toyota in wangara wa.

Recently I've noticed the fuel gauge only goes up to 3/4 full when I brim the tank and the icc displays 'low battery' on occasion when starting the car. In addition I have creaking suspension coming from the rear end upon take off and deceleration. (I'm presuming from the leaf springs) Also icc has really excessive noise on iPod. (I know this is pretty common but I think it's a bit extreme!)

Having spent many hours searching the forum I think the battery may be on its way out ? and maybe the leafs need greasing but my question is should I take it back to toyota who sold it to me or next door to nuford wangara and request it to be looked at under warranty?

Car was originally purchased by previous owner at Titan ford, had its first service there then second service was carried out by toyota prior to sale. I'm hoping they don't use this as an excuse to not honour the warranty.

Any advice would be gratefully received! Sorry for the long post!

Edited by Mothergoose

• Too heavy needs boost
  • Member For: 11y 2m 16d

New car warranty. Toyota is a log book service. Shouldn't be a issue.

Take it to ford with your concerns and they should be able to help to out.

If not you get 3 months warranty from Toyota and they will drive it next door end get it fixed for you.

Edited by Bizkets is fat?
  • Like 1

• Member For: 16y 3m 5d

Leaf springs use rubber shackle bushes, but I can't see how they are worn in 20,000km. They also don't squeak. Sure it's not the handbrake?

Fuel guage... dunno. Drive the car until it's almost empty and then fill it up. Should take close to 80 litres. Or, top it up with a jerry can and see what the guage does.

iPod interference: Get the cable from ASL Logistics.

http://www.asllogistics.com/catalog/ASL-iPod-iPhone-Charging-Auxiliary-Booster-Line-Conditioner-No-p-75.html

Battery: Duck out to SuperCharge Batteries in Bayswater and grab an MF50 (ie 650CCA) for around $150 (a bit less for trade price). Or a Delkor 22EFR-680 (680CCA) from Challenge Batteries in Osborne Park.

Or, take it to any battery place and get them to put their Midtronics tester on it. That will show the current CCA level for the battery. Low CCA = worn battery.

(Note to battery geeks: I bought a new Midtronics MDX-700PHD on eBay US last night for $A310)

You'll want to get an Earl's oil feed line kit. The one on eBay is a good option: www.ebay.com.au/itm/170942058826

http://stores.ebay.com.au/fittings2u

Oh yeah, and congratulations on the ute purchase. Good fun car, huh?

Nice one Phil thanks and yeah the ute is pretty awesome! Very surprised with the way it's so smooth but when provoked seriously rapid.

With regards leaf springs I'm hoping bushes not worn! The reason I was thinking this was it only happens when moving off from standing start and as you come to a complete stop. It seems like a weight transfer thing. It's progressively got louder over the last three weeks and although not ridiculous it is annoying! One for ford me thinks.

Thanks for the tips on battery replacement I've read the oem is pretty underpowered for the car. I've no problems investing in quality as it will rack up some k's as my daily work vehicle.

Can I ask what the benefit of the earls oil feed product you've recommended is?

Thanks for your help mate.

Steve.

• Member For: 16y 3m 5d

With regards leaf springs I'm hoping bushes not worn! The reason I was thinking this was it only happens when moving off from standing start and as you come to a complete stop. It seems like a weight transfer thing. It's progressively got louder over the last three weeks and although not ridiculous it is annoying! One for ford me thinks.

Can I ask what the benefit of the earls oil feed product you've recommended is?

The rear suspension setup is very simple and generally doesn't squeak. Shackle bushes last ages.

Some photos: http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/89684-2006-fpv-tornado-f6-ute-cleanup-resurrection/#entry1520650

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11428368

You'll probably also find that the diff breather hose is broken. Replace it with some 6.3mm fuel hose.

Have a look through my Tornado thread - some of that will be relevant to your car.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/89684-2006-fpv-tornado-f6-ute-cleanup-resurrection/

Your squeaking is possibly coming from the handbrake. I've got the same noise on my Tornado, but I can't be bothered messing around with the handbrake adjustment again.

Earl's oil feed line: Replaces the Ford oil line that feeds oil to and from the turbocharger. The Earl's one has a good filter in the middle. There's a thread on here somewhere with photos, started by Chief Wiggam.

If you want some good brakes for the car then I've got a set of front 4 piston Brembo calipers for sale...

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 9m 29d

I purchased my XR6T from Grand Toyota Wangara as well, no issues getting warranty work done, there was a problem with the ICC AC button, they dropped it next door at Nuford and replaced the ICC, cost them like 3k to do it (the factory warranty was expired). Hopefully you don't have any issues getting this sorted with them.

Thanks for all the feedback I really appreciate it.

@rbsnake it's good to know you had a posative experience with grand. I have to say the whole sales mission/experience was pretty painless I dealt with a chap called Chris there and he was easy to deal with and pretty honest, I called him today and he said bring it straight in so I'll try and pop it in tomorrow.

I would definitely recommend them to someone looking.

@phil that tornado thread is gold! I will check it all out properly tonight but already it's given me a better idea of things. Cheers for the link.

Hopefully I'll be able to report back some good news after I drop it in. Overall the car is pretty awesome to drive and these are minor issues but still it would be good to sort them.

Oh and as for brembo's hmmmmmmmmmmm if only I had some cash knocking around lol! I've been looking at upgrading brakes when the standard stuff gives up but was thinking pads and t2's. Just out of interest what sort of coin are we talking here?

Thanks again guys.

Steve.

• Like 1

Update - went into grand toyota this arvo and they were very helpful took the car straight into the workshop tried to fix a piece of trim and tested the battery for me.

Battery came back as being all good so they advised possible remote key battery or something with specific with icc.

Unfortunately the trim looks to be distorted so they sent me to ford next door who were also pretty helpful and have booked me in for Tuesday and provided a loan car for the day too.

On a positive note filled up the car today and the gauge went to max so go figure?

Will see what ford say about squeak, icc and trim on Tuesday and feedback from there.

Cheers.