2007 Fpv Tornado Ute - Tinkering & Setup

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 9m
23 minutes ago, turboknapp said:

Rich over-paid FIFO guy here, got better things to do.

haha, when I was FIFO I thought the money was pretty fair for a 70-84 hour week for a few weeks at a time away from family and friends.

Edited by johnxr6t

• Member For: 10y 10m 8d

id day inspectors know what cars should be emissions tested even if they appear unmodified, ss daewoos and xr6 turbos are more than likley on that list. You have a 2nd car exactly the same that IS stock.

crazy thought, but in the interest of saving money, wat if you got the modified one tuned First, get an xcal with a base file on it and make sure it will flash before it leaves the tuna, doesnt need to run on it at that point. Come home, pilfer all the stock sh*t off the other one, install on fast one, flash to stock, inspection. Reverse

Yes its a monumental fark around but you want to save money right?

• Sandtrap Motorsport
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 4d

pit inspectors put their foot down when testing a car.
I see so many people get rustled jimmies going "they cant do that, it isn't their car, it's mine, I didn't give them permission to do that"

babow motherf*ckers. that is how it is down. it is called a roadtest, not a put around the block

• Like 2

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 6m 5d
37 minutes ago, barnz said:

crazy thought, but in the interest of saving money, wat if you got the modified one tuned First, get an xcal with a base file on it and make sure it will flash before it leaves the tuna, doesnt need to run on it at that point. Come home, pilfer all the stock sh*t off the other one, install on fast one, flash to stock, inspection. Reverse

Yes its a monumental fark around but you want to save money right?

Unfortunately trying to save money and doing things on the cheap has gotten Phil into this situation 

^^^I know.

My suggestion is beyond rediculous, but the only other way Is to buy stock parts and pay a tuner to do all of the work which he has already grumbled about...

way I see the former is the only option if he wishes to continue going on the cheap....and its still not going to be cheap

OR, sell the car unregistered and make it somebody elses problem, pump cash from sale into blue one. Skids

so 3 clear cut options

Wait there is a 4th lol, swap go fast bits to blue one, get green one licenced and move it on....but I think he likes the green color better

• Member For: 16y 2m 12d

Why didn't I set it back to standard at the start?

There had been previous "negotiations" to get the car through an inspection.  Different deals, with different people.  Promises had been made.

Nothing too shonky.  No cash bribes.

Heck, it was meant to get licenced on the it arrived in Perth.  That had already been lined up.

Unfortunately, people didn't come through at the last second.

This has happened several times.  

If I see anyone from here in person then I'll explain things a bit more.

There have been a few near misses with getting it through an inspection, which I've kept quiet about.

A lot of people have met this car.  A few of them have been very keen to see it licenced, and wanted to help with that.  

I've copped a bit of flack about it on here, but I've had to keep my mouth shut...  not going to get anyone into trouble.  

As it is, the car will get set mostly back to standard for an inspection.  The holdup right now is figuring out some piping to go from the Plazmaman 1000hp intercooler to where the throttle body will sit once the standard intake plenum is back on.

3 hours ago, barnz said:

One solution is to get it re-tuned, including an E85 tune.

Get an emissions test done on E85 (ie which it will pass).

Then get it all engineered.

It would then pass an inspection as it is.

Problems:

- Massive cost.  Don't have that money right now.

- DOT take at least a couple of months to process engineering applications.

2 hours ago, barnz said:

My suggestion is beyond rediculous, but the only other way Is to buy stock parts and pay a tuner to do all of the work which he has already grumbled about...

I've got no problem with setting the car back to standard to get through an inspection.

However, the verbal quotes that I've been getting are way overpriced.

Workshops are still in the mining boom days - they're still charging top dollar.

As I mentioned earlier, one bloke said last week, "two grand to get it over the pits and another two grand afterward."

That's a tad expensive.  

I would rather have it done at someone's house, by someone who has experience with this stuff.  That way I can learn a bunch more about the turbo setup and be more knowledgeable about this car for the future.

look I wouldnt pay the 4k to basically get it licenced stock and the re illegally modified again either. Which is why I suggested getting a tune touch up done first as it sits now, subsequently also getting an xcal and stock file at the same time. then the rest is just time blood sweat and probably tears swapping everything between the 2 utes twice, and obviously the cost of the inspection itself. Probably the cheapest way to get the outcome you want, 2nd cheapest to save a bit of time would be buying all the stock parts you need, which isnt completely crazy as if you ever sell it you could return it to stock and sell it registered(easier) and part out the go fast bits..