2007 Fpv Tornado Ute - Tinkering & Setup

• Member For: 16y 2m 13d

Updates? Running sweet & rego'd ? :)

Hopefully we will see a flood of updates?

Haven’t done anything lately - have pretty much hit the point where I now need the input of someone who has more skills and resources than I do.

I was supposed to get a phone call back from someone last week, but it didn’t eventuate.

Things that I currently need help with - know anyone?

- Figure out how to get it through a licensing inspection - use standard dump pipe, cat and injectors?

- Diagnostic engine codes - currently getting P1132, was previously getting P0121, P2110 and P2135

- Service/flush transmission fluid

- Fit PWR heat exchanger

- Fit Earl’s turbo oil line kit

- Discussion of air filter location - whether it’s suitable behind the front bumper/RH headlight

• Member For: 10y 10m 9d

Phil, you may have to use some gear of your other tornado to get through licencing, pita I know. Not sure how it is in your state.

Would think your capable of the tranny service heat exchanger job. I think Ralph has a gulf western guy? Was gonna hit him up about that as well.

Turbo oil filter is a pretty simple job. Bit fiddly. The part that annoyed me the most was removing the old hard line. Removing thermos probably would have helped.

Behind the bar is a sh*t place for an air filter.

Edited by barnz
  • Like 1

• Sandtrap Motorsport
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 4d

That's a decent list.

I have a bunch of standard BF turbo items, like dump etc, that I'll do super cheap for you if keen :)

Edited by Tocchi

That's a decent list.

I have a bunch of standard BF turbo items, like dump etc, that I'll do super cheap for you if keen :)

Done. Let me know when you're in Perth. There shall be some wheeling and dealing!

flooded with offers for parts. Gotta be happy with that

Yep. I'm getting the hang of what I need to do to get this thing through a rego inspection.

Bit of a learning process for me... what can be engineered/certified, and what can't (ie need to put standard stuff on just for the inspection).

It's all about the 5 gas test. Modify the exhaust in any way and the car needs to pass a 5 gas test - it will fail with the aftermarket cat. I need to avoid the 5 gas test by putting on a standard dump pipe and cat for the rego inspection.

I've got an automotive engineer onto it to certify the plenum intake and pod filter. Helpful guy.

Problem is that he also wants to cover the Bilsten shocks that I put on. He's measured the height of the car (ie at the roof), and it's 105mm lower than it should be. Got me stuffed - it's got almost new rear leaf springs and new Lovells XR8 springs on the front.

The distance from the centre of each wheel to the wheel arch is also way too short. Again, got me stuffed, I've got this thing set to original Tornado height. He's looking for some other measurements that he can use.

I haven't done anything with this car since replacing the suspension a few weeks ago (sick of working on cars). Time to get back into it.

105mm! The I <3 Bananas ? He has to be wrong, is he using RTV specs?

He did a rough measurement with a tape measure at 1410mm. It's meant to be 1515mm, but the car is allowed to be 50mm lower. That still leaves me 65mm too low.

I'm wondering if Ford's specified height includes the optional sports bars in the back of the ute tray. They go a little bit higher than the roof.

• Member For: 10y 10m 9d

Well in qld we don't measure the height of car from the ground to the highest point lol wtf is that? Hub to guard or ground clearance method which is often from the exhaust or whatever is lowest.

Did he take his measurement off a perfectly level surface? This is why HTG is most accurate...as long as that measurement isn't x amount lower than factory and you don't have a rice spec exhaust it should be all gravy

Edited by barnz

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 5m 19d

HTG is all well and good, but you can have a "low" car with plenty of ground clearance, if you have different suspension components to stock.

Ground clearance on a flat and level surface should be the only way accurate way to measure it.

Overall height should only matter for "high" vehicles (trucks/buses etc). Regular road cars aren't going to be causing any issues with their overall height (barring extreme circumstances).

With regard to your situation, Phil, it seems like the guy has the wrong figures - there's absolutely no way your car is >100mm lower than stock height after you put the stock suspension back in.