2007 Fpv Tornado Ute - Tinkering & Setup

• Member For: 16y 2m 12d

The verdict: ZF transmission is stuffed.

Bugger.

Bought an NA one for $200 (yes, two hundred). It was cheap because the plastic sump was cracked (Pickles being careless with moving wrecks with a forklift).

Bought a steel sump, gasket and filter kit for $205 yesterday.

Nigel at AC Automatics is on it (ie formerly Alfred Cove Automatics, but he's now in Welshpool).

He looked up the differences between NA and turbo ZFs, and the only difference is something minor in the clutches.

I won't be quite so cheerful about it all when I get the bill later, but so far this guy has been the one to go to for transmission stuff.

No problem with using the 20L drum of Gulf Western Syn-TS that I bought.

He'll mix and match the required parts from each transmission, eg torque converter, mechatronics, etc.

Very down-to-earth, straight shooter. He's a problem solver.

Meanwhile, car is booked in for a licencing inspection next Thursday.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 6d

Penny smart pound foolish, rebuilding an NA box and using a turbo mechatronics unit is going to cause more grief and ultimately cost you more than repairing the current box or sourcing a correct replacement.

I boggles my mind that rebuilding the na box to quasi turbo using critical components from the current box is an option but rebuilding the current Box is not.

• Like 2

How much is he asking for that? If you don't mind me asking.

He normally charges $300 to fit a transmission, although this one will cost extra for swapping over the mechatronics and a few other things.

Penny smart pound foolish, rebuilding an NA box and using a turbo mechatronics unit is going to cause more grief and ultimately cost you more than repairing the current box or sourcing a correct replacement.

I boggles my mind that rebuilding the na box to quasi turbo using critical components from the current box is an option but rebuilding the current Box is not.

Didn't want to spend big money at the moment - don't have it.

I bought this car 5 months ago, and I still haven't gotten it licenced in WA yet.

I've dropped the ball on this lately, so decided this week to get the damn thing mobile and licenced.

I've stuffed this project up. And it was meant to be a quick and easy one.

The NA transmission might end up being a short-term solution, but it gets the car mobile now, and at a low cost.

I bought the NA transmission today for $200 (108,000km on it). Too good to ignore. I'd rather take my time and find a better option, but that was an immediate solution that will have to do for now.

If/when I see a good turbo ZF later then I'll buy it. I might even buy a wrecked car later, keep the transmission and recoup money by selling parts off the wreck.

But the immediate priority was to prevent letting this project drag on any longer. Stop procrastinating.

Later on I'll do some research on exactly what the differences are been NA and turbo ZFs, and the differences between BF and FG ones.

But, for now, re-commit to the project and get the car licenced and in use.

Pull tranny apart replace worn clutch pack put back together simples plus keep turbo zf. Luke said in another thread he can get separate excedy clutches replace the worn leave the rest 3-4 I'm guessing is broken?

What I can't figure out is why it is that ZFs are so easy to rebuild, and yet so expensive.

If I could get it done cheap enough then I'd get the old transmission rebuilt.

Parts are easy enough to get, either from the US or Motospecs ( http://www.motospecs.com.au).

The labour component doesn't seem to be huge... the parts don't cost millions... why does it cost four grand for a decent rebuild?