Clunk When Disengaging First Gear 6 Speed Xr6T

rollex

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 6m 6d

Yeah mine would grind second and third gear, even when warm...foreman at Ford drove it and did the same to him and he reckoned something was wrong with the gearbox, so they put in for warranty work...to which Ford wanted nothing to do with it....carnts!

• Member For: 10y 3m 11d

Didn't you have issues with your clutch when it was put in? Not fully disengaging or something? Cause that's what it sounds like and I know that sound you are talking about when you pull it out without the clutch. Not the clunking we are on about. Not that severe. Engagement issue me thinks?

I did have problems but it was sorted once the correct pressure plate was put in, it engages about 1.5" inch off the floor so it is definitely disengaging.

Well at least I know the box and drive train won't blow up, but it is a bit clunky!

Edited by rollex

• Member For: 10y 9m 30d

Try pushing the clutch in very slowly to see if it still happens. I can replicate the clunk and sound I think your talking about by just punching it in really fast causing the drive line to unload abruptly. Did it a few times this afternoon when I jumped in the work ute to go home.

Edited by barnz

Try pushing the clutch in very slowly to see if it still happens. I can replicate the clunk and sound I think your talking about by just punching it in really fast causing the drive line to unload abruptly. Did it a few times this afternoon when I jumped in the work ute to go home.

The issue is when you are flat in first it is kind of hard to disengage slowly. When around town and in carparks I simply keep my foot on the accelerator ever so slightly so the car isn't engine breaking and it doesn't clunk at all. What annoys me is with a super heavy clutch I have to concentrate to do it which means it clunks probably 25% of the time as I don't always time it right.

What will clunk every single time is if I'm engine braking in first and clutch in, it doesn't matter how slowly I do it.

Which is my point, I can't remember what clutch you got but unless that's actually the way its meant to be it doesn't seem right.

Sounds like its disengaging far to quickly like a throwout issue but im really not sure what it could be. Positive its the right pressure plate now? Tried bleeding it?

Edited by barnz

Yeah it is all the correct parts now, it did it before with the stock clutch as well I just notice it more as it is heavier and slightly harder to let out smoothly.

Is disengaging too fast actually an issue?

No idea really lol, drive manuals erry day and never had one that does what your describing no matter what. Certainly never heard of anybody complain of their clutch disengaging to fast. But I've never had one that does it every time when coasting in gear, usually only in certain situations like when you stop abruptly coz spotted a car park and you punch it in real fast.