am really happy with this camera :blush:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 11m 9d

I currently have IXUS V 2.1MP and it is FAB. I paid almost $1K for it a couple of years ago. It is great but the newer ones are better resolution and cheaper by about 40%. IMO you can't go past the canon products.

• Former XT pilot
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 27d

samsung digimax V4 4.0 megapixel, $699rrp.

Awesome camera. capable of sound and movies.

We got one. The chick at harvey norman reccomended it over the canon ones.

• Poison Fish. Poison Fish. TASTY FISH!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 4d

Anybody had a look at the Panasonic range?

The FZ2 has:

They're fairly compact and quite easy to use.

12x Optical Zoom with a Leica Lens (Which Im told are very good)

2 MP (not that much but if your just taking pics of cars for the site etc is fine)

Some Manual Over ride features: Focal Legnth OR Shutter Speed etc

Lots of space for movies etc

It retails around $600

There is also the (I think) FZ-10 that is a 4 MP cam with total manual over ride but basically same chassis/lens combo.It was recently released.

A mate of mine has the FZ2 and I have nothing to do with Panasonic but just tossing up another option.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 20d
Hi guys!

I'm looking at buying a digital camera, and I'm a bit confused by the whole issue. There are heaps of different brands and models out there! I know the more megapixels is better but that also comes at a price, and I don't really want to spend a huge amount of $$$. I just what to be able to take good, clear photos of my ute, cars at shows, family, friends etc, I have a film SLR for taking shots at races and so fourth where you can't always get very close, because with a digital the more you zoom the worse the photo looks unless your using very expensive equipment.

Clearly there are a lot of guys here who have digital cameras, or maybe there's someone in the business or a professional who could share their experiences or make any recommendations?

Thanks in advance guys! :blink:

Do not fall into the trap of believing that more megapixels is better. Actually the most important consideration is the quality of the lens. It is no point having a multi megapixel camera which has a dodgy lens.

An annoying feature of digital cameras which should be considered is the delay from pressing the shutter to when it actually takes the shot.

The Panasonic range of cameras have a good quality lens and also have a very fast shutter speed as well as a burst shot mode which allows you to take a number of shots in very quick succession, essential for taking action shots (I am not affiliated with Panasonic).

Here are a couple of web sites you may find helpful in making your decision.

http://www.dcresource.com

www.steves-digicams.com

Rgds

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 20d

As mentioned earlier, all good advice. I got a Canon G2, shouldn't have though, should have got a S40, S45 and now S50 cause I don't use the features the G2 offers (now superseded by G3 and G5)

Also have a Canon video camera which I can use the same batteries in so worked out OK in the end.

Anyway this is THE web site for deciding

dpreview.com

American but pretty much the same cameras and excellent reviews. Can do side by side comparisons etc, very useful.

Made my mind up here and interesting place to visit from time to time to keep up with what's going on in the digital camera world.

Enjoy!

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 24d
Anybody had a look at the Panasonic range?

The FZ2 has:

They're fairly compact and quite easy to use.

12x Optical Zoom with a Leica Lens (Which Im told are very good)

2 MP (not that much but if your just taking pics of cars for the site etc is fine)

Some Manual Over ride features: Focal Legnth OR Shutter Speed etc

Lots of space for movies etc

It retails around $600

There is also the (I think) FZ-10 that is a 4 MP cam with total manual over ride but basically same chassis/lens combo.It was recently released.

A mate of mine has the FZ2 and I have nothing to do with Panasonic but just tossing up another option.

There was a test in the Herald Sun and the Panasonic scored 5 stars, the only camera to do so in the less than $1k mark. They loved the lens. I was thinking of this camera, except not many places seem to sell the Panasonic so that made me a bit hesitant.

Thanks for all the info guys! :thumbsup:

• Member For: 21y 2m 18d

Another thing to consider is whether the camera will allow you to save the images in 'raw' format, (ie the camera doesn't do any image processing), and you can then manipulate the image yourself. You can spend hundreds on a camera only to find that the image processing is worse than others.

Also, when taking photos, consider taking them at maximum resolution and quality. It is easier to crop / downsize a large image, than increasing a small image without loss of quality. Ok, this is a tradeoff on how many pictures you can store on the card before downloading onto your PC, but with the cost of CDRs, long term storage shouldn't be an issue.

Personally I have an Olympus C750...4MP, 10x Optical Zoom. Should be able to pick one up just under $1000.

• The Thief of BadGags
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 18d

Purchased mine last month. Olympus MJU 400

4 MP + 3 x Optical Zoom.

Was tossing up between the MJU 400 and the C-750 which is also 4MP but 10 x Optical Zoom.

What swayed me was the compact nature of the MJU 400. Like you, I have an SLR with 300mm zoom lens for long distance shots. The 3 x Optical zoom is the equivalent of approx 105mm in 35mm SLR terminology....therefore not for zooming in on far away subjects. For this, go for the C-750.

I am happy with the quality of the pics, easily transfers to the PC via USB connectivity. Also has the ability to take "Panoramic" scenes when using the original Olympus xD-Memory Cards. This enables you to set the camera on a tripod and take several shots of a landscape scene...by moving the camera after each shot, with slight overlapping of each picture. The supplied software then "stitches" the pictures together giving a "widescreen panoramic view" Epson even supply glossy paper for these pictures to be printed on. ( Obviously wouldn't be much point printing them on a A4 sheet...therfore, these specific sheets are ideal ).

Hope this helps....and good luck with your investigations.

Honest Gaza

• Member For: 20y 8m 12d

I have the Olympus Mju 300, which is basically a 3.2 mega pixel version of the 400 that Gaza has. I bought it on the advice of an in-law who works in the photagraphic business. She said the Mju series was a step up in technology (12 months ago) from any thing else available at the time.

It is a sleek, compact camera with a full metal water resistent case and I am very happy with it.