4 Speed Turned Into 2 Speed

Duz360

• Member For: 9y 8m 16d

Hi guys did some searching and it seems the general consensus is that 4 speeds suck

However I like the 4 speed and feel it's hopefully just died I'm assuming it's dead but that's part 1 of my 2 part question and thanks in advance

Firstly the car was at powercruise and therefore potentially got a reasonably hard time in the cruise sessions (apparently too hard) but 1st to second is sweet and smooth and firm but it seems there's nothing after that in performance or standard and even If you manually shift the box into 3 or 4 it doesn't change however the dash does. The cooler isn't connected through the radiator and the fluid level is good There is a temp gauge and it didn't get hot.

Any ideas ?

And second question

This car is my daily and I'm wondering can I jam a na box in there in the short term for a few weeks while I pull the other box out and get it built. I understand there not as strong but could I flsh my factory tune in there and look after it for a few weeks to keep me on the road?

I guess the question I'm asking above is will it bolt up and work if I look after it and which converter would u use can I use a na converter also so I could get my converter checked

Thanks and I appreciate the help sorry for the long post

• Like 1

• Member For: 10y 8m 21d

yes its the bands mate . I will have a freshly rebuild BTR for sale cheap . it used to run 312 rwkw . the tuner gave it a hard time on the dyno and had no idea what he was doing and stuffed the Kevlar band in it . it still works no problems . I will get the band replaced before I sell it .the auto shop will look at the whole box for me as they have done a full rebuild on it 5000 klm ago . it had all au parts fitted to it and a au oil pump (more oil pressure ) also all new bosch solenoids and a new standard converter was fitted as well to fit the new oil pump . I was going to get dominello automatics to build it to handle 500 rwkw but in the end decided to go for a 6 speed manual . if you are interested give me a pm for price . the auto shop will give me a warranty with the work they have done to it . how many rwkw do you have ?

ps its still in the car as I was at powercruise and stuffed the flex plate .and now going to do a full re build on it .new fg engine etc so the band is still working it just had some evidence of wear in the filter when I changed the oil after the dyno tune

Edited by genuine honest person

• Member For: 11y 19d

Me and my mate did a 10.79 on a standard El falcon btr 4 speed just throw an n/a box in there and drive on till it dies.

Also 4 speed don't suck it's the management controlling them that sucks. if you run full line pressure and a big oil cooler they are stronger then a half decent built c4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member For: 21y 1m

If 2nd gear is working it is NOT the band. The front band is used in 2nd and 4th. The failure will likely be the C1 clutch that is fairly common to wear and that is used in 3rd and 4th.

The 4 speeds are good . The earlier models had a different tooth profile making them a bit stronger.

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 1d

So greg if you have no 2nd and 4th and no engine braking in 3rd in auto mode but have engine braking in 3rd manual mode is it still just a wiped front band ?