External Wastegate Plumbing And Boost Controller

Duz360

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 6m 9d

The turbo is a GT42 variant.

Tuning will be either headsex or Nizpro, most likely. I have very good options when it comes to tuning here in Melbourne.

EDIT: I saw something about higher than ~29psi (~ 2bar stock map sensor) being controlled by putting a higher map sensor in but using the matching voltages (obviously different pressure sensor result, though) to "fool" the pcm's existing calibration to put the adjusted values in the other tables (don't know the technicality of it) a year or so ago...

Edited by k31th

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 18d

Is danny still going ?

I heard some funky sh*t about 6 months ago with danny and ivan, dunno what eventuated but it was serious catty stuff

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

How/where are the voltages adjusted though? If you don't correct the AirMass/Temp/Voltage table the PCM will still reference the Airmass/Temp from the old sensor.

sneaky edit. sorry, not adjusted voltages, just treating the existing MAP voltages as a physically different PSI result (due to bigger MAP sensor).

Like I said, I'm no tuner so I don't know the technicality of it and it was headsex who mentioned it, so you're probably right it's only his tuning method that can do it.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 26d

oh. double double edit? You need to be on your game playing with the values like that (and have a very very robust was of recording what you have done)

EDIT- that's actually and interesting train of thought....and I can see how it could be applied now. You would need to apply whatever the correct factor is for the larger maps airmas v volt compared to the stock output to the air mass v load tables and to the spark v load tables.

It would require some pretty solid data logging and robust maths to the scale it all though.

I would worry that you would loose resolution down low but for some of the only driven on sunday's bigger turbo cars this probably wouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

Yeah... not as though headsex is lacking in this sort of ability, too! haha

I do see people getting over 30 PSI with bigger turbo's around the place, these days, so they must be controlling it somehow... or do you think all of those tuners are either using aftermarket ECU's or are just tuning with peg'd MAP's?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

Ahh, that'd be why the stock MAP is pegged at around 22-23PSI, lol, 1bar vacuum plus 1.5 bar positive pressure... 1.5 bar is around ~22PSI I did remember reading something around that figure a while ago :)

If it can be done for higher boost it would be worthwhile...it would only have to be done once per MAP sensor and a nice strong engine to take the logging :O haha

I guess I'll find a way to source a lower spring :) It is a TIAL wastegate so I should be able to find one that fits...

• Member For: 18y 4m 22d

Fudging numbers may fix one area but have adverse affects in another, maybe ok for a race car or dyno car but not ideal for a street car

But there may be an answer coming, I can not and will not say anymore, whether to confirm or deny

• Like 2