External Wastegate Plumbing And Boost Controller

Duz360

• Member For: 11y 19d

People use bigger map sensors when putting a turbo on e series then do what you guys are saying of basically fooling the ecu into thinking its got 7psi when really it has 14 but by the time you work out the voltage vs pressure of both map sensors then having to remember what each number actually coresponds to is a lot of work and usually people give up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The other thing of people driving cars around with pegged maps mean they will have to disable the overboost function so when a boost control line blows off, the ecu has no way of cutting the motor if it overboosts. My best mates car that I have been tuning lately is an example haltech ps2000 ecu 2bar internal map max boost the ecu can read is 22psi but we have it running around 24psi atm. Boost control line blew off last week when we were doing powerskids lucky no damage was done due to we only have a 7psi spring in the wastegate then using the boost controller to get it to 24psi that when the line blew off the exhaust manifold pressure was able to push the waste gate open before it over boosted (with no lines on the wastegate it spikes to about 20psi then tapers off to around 17psi at higher rpm) had this had a bigger waste gate spring say 14 psi it probably would have spiked to 30psi which the stock El falcon motor would have probably thrown a Rod out the side of block and been the end of the motor. Just one thing I notice some people don't think about when they talk about having the map pegged and the car still runs fine but could be the one safety feature that's save a motor.

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 6m 9d

Edit... sorry, I couldn't remember what hte max boost of an eboost2 was :P 40PSI then.

My gate is a tial so I'm guessing this is not my issue thanks guys

Follow my first post, then! :thumbsup:

Unless your tuner has tuned the car to suit a low boost spring that uses boost pressure to hold the gate closed then plumb it up like Ralph's picture.

Edited by k31th

Correct. Hence my love for Eboost2's on cars that are pegging the MAP.

Yeh overboost is definetly a good safeguard. I haven't looked into eboosts really that much so curious how they go about acting to a overboost do they just stop sending a duty cycle to the boost control solenoid or do they have a way of cutting the engine?

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 26d

The stop bleeding boost from the solenoid until the boost pressure has reached half of the overboost shut value. Typically I set the Value 2psi higher than Desired boost and this helps prevent boost cut due to momentary boost spikes (ie on WOT shifts in a ZF car when the Pcm pulls timing)