External Wastegate Plumbing And Boost Controller

Duz360

• Member For: 9y 8m 16d

Hi guys

Did a bit of searching and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for and chasing a problem so hoping you guys can help

What is the correct plumbing for external hate with the standard boost solenoid on the t

Currently I have a line from the housing to the controller and another to the bottom of the gate the other outlet on the controller has a blank and the top of the gate is just to Atmo.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 6m 9d

Depending on the model, some external gates have a second port which is used to supply positive pressure to help keep the wastegate fully closed while the boost is rising.

An aftermarket boost controller can do this (eboost2 for example), but the factory one cannot.

In short, what you need to do is connect the boost solenoid (factory boost controller) line to only a single port on the wastegate, depending on the model of the wastegate will tell you where to connect it (top/bottom/side/wherever) for the port that actually controls when to open the wastegate.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 26d

Depending on the model, some external gates have a second port which is used to supply positive pressure to help keep the wastegate fully closed while the boost is rising.

Not entirly true Keith, you can run a t piece on the boost source prior to the gate and feed boost pressure to the bottom (opening side) of the gate and the use the solenoid to vent to top (closing side) of the gate. This is generally done to cope with an exhaust system that is restictive or when the turbo on the high end of the low side for the car and you want to squeeze every last LB out of it.

post-7403-0-46480300-1423786814_thumb.jp

While it's mechanical possible you'd need to be one heck of a tuner to program the factory boost control to operate it (gain settings would be off the chart to cope with the open characteristics of the gate opening)

• Like 2

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

Yeah... you're right, that can be done. I wouldn't advise doing it yourself, though!

In mine when I plumbed it like that the turbo pressure reference holding the gate closed was too high and the gate wouldn't open before 28+ psi haha whoops - and it got there FAST, the boost gauge had no idea what was going on haha. So I was not keen to leave it like that, for obvious reasons :)

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

I know! hence why I took it out haha - but... maybe I want 30+ psi? hmmm

Since this was in my own garage, it was a fail - couldn't order new spring (old model wastegate) and couldn't tune for the higher boost as I wasn't at the tuner :)

I'll stick with it opening slowly (in comparison) up to 17-18psi for the time being.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

Yeah, I'm sure that I could find a spring that fits. I'm satisfied with the lack of wheelspin and plenty of smooth power delivery at the moment, so I haven't gone out of my way to find one :)

If I'm to keep this spring I need a higher rated MAP sensor, methinks.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 26d

If I'm to keep this spring I need a higher rated MAP sensor, methinks.

Good luck with that mate, to date non of the off the shelf tuning packages allow you to alter the TMAP calibration. Headsex's (Danny Nagy) software can apparently do it but he's not sharing so pegged maps will stay pegged.

Who'g going to tune it when it's back on deck? Also you didn't answer my question about the turbo.....??