Gearbox/tailshaft Knock At <10Kms With > 30% Throttle.

rollex

• Member For: 10y 3m 11d

My BF xr6t manual has just developed a weird knock kind of like a rubber mallet hitting metal noise very fast if I use > 30 % throttle in first at about ~5 kph but goes away once you get to 10kph. It pretty much only happens in first but will happen in second if you try and do it on purpose. It almost sounds like the tailshaft is hitting something and comes from the back of the transmission where the tailshaft connects to the gearbox output shaft.

The issue started happening after I put some sticky tyres on (265 semi slicks) with over 300 rwkw and took the car out maybe 4-5x for a good flog in the hills.

The gearbox has been pulled out a few times recently so I'm wondering if there are any bearings or bushes that could have failed? Anyone had an issue like this? Where should I start looking?

Cheers

edit: I know my diff bush is cracked however it doesn't knock yet, could this be related?

Edited by rollex

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 3m 19d

Sprints munno have them ( I remember u being norf )

Old one has to be cut out, new one will press in

About $80 from memory

Edited by Butt Plug

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 3m 19d

Yes its a "thumping" sound

The CB is knackered, u need to buy the new CB that comes complete in the "carrier" and a new uni joint as u will need to cut the old uni out

The CB "should" tap off or fall off and the new one just seats on then bolting the yoke back on will take it "home" ull needs press or good vice with appropriate cups to get the uni fitted

Simples

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 20d

check left hand engine mount,easy way ,handbrake on footbrake on ,have bonnet up ,give it a little bit of throttle and see if left side of engine starts to lift up,,cost nothing to check...