Builders Or Home Builders Knowledge Needed Asap

Azid

• Hench, but no longer shredded or tanned.
  • Member For: 17y 5m 10d

Dont hold back mate. I made em rip up my flooring as I had paid for timber laminate and was given vinyl. And I got a whitestone benchtop when I paid for a black marble so they chopped it out and redid that aswell.. fkin idiots

• Member For: 12y 11m 20d

I only found out yesterday as temp fencing has been up around it. Other thing is council rules state it must be minimum 900 from lot boundary so council probAbly won't even approve it. Not happy at all

• www.australianflag.org.au
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 21d

Mate there are companies that you can hire to do handovers.

Someone else may be able to provide details. From what I have seen the sticker and compile a list for builder to fix before they advise the buyer to hand over money. Generally cosmetic and may not be suitable. But short of some real advice might be a go.

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 7d

I only found out yesterday as temp fencing has been up around it. Other thing is council rules state it must be minimum 900 from lot boundary so council probAbly won't even approve it. Not happy at all

As I said council will make you pay a relaxation to be closer to the boundary..

They won't withhold approval just on that..

• Member For: 21y 5m 8d

Council will give retrospective approval. There is nothing that can be done in relation to where the house is now. It was not uncommon many years ago for houses and boundaries to be out by 300mm.

But now not so common with all the accurate survey instruments there are. You or the builder need to establish who made the mistake but it falls on the builder in anycase.

I highly doubt its the surveyer, but grano workers sometimes only have half a brain from smoking too much sh*t on the job, then these mistakes happen.

Tell us how you go.

• Like 1

• Member For: 15y 9m 4d

This sounds quite strange. We are building with MJ and we are about to start the actual build. The plans that have been required to be submitted and received council approval have been intense, with council requiring a number of changes and we are talking about very small tollerances. The position of the slab on the block is the #1 importance when it comes to council requirements and they often ask the builder to move the slab for some compliance reasons. This has happened to me before. In a lot of cases it's last minute. Any changes to the position of the slab would be contained in the final construction plan that you sign off on when you finish all the colours, final tender price etc. This would include the final council stamped and approved plans and the last step before they start the build. The website will have those plans and approved documents to view (Hills Shire does) Check those documents before you take any action as this doc will show any boundary clearance changes the council (or certifier) has requested. Those final documents you should have signed and that is what the builder is required to build. I have noticed that there are +- 100mm tollerance statements on the plans. They are from the builder to council. Not sure if council accepts that or not, but maybe they do. The slab height is very important and that is set with a laser. Also MJ have a policy of a first inspection (and first progress payment) either before or after the slab is poured (form work done) so as to check how many piers you need and such like. But anyway if the final plans say 700mm then that's it. However not sure where you are building but in Sydney on certain sizes blocks the min clearance on the side is 900mm, but I know 700mm is OK in other areas based upon the size of the blocks. Check your council Basix and 88b requirements and make sure of your position. I would not expect a large builder to make such a fundamental mistake, but there's always a first time for everything. As for council approval of such a mistake - no comment here, councils have a habit of turning a blind eye to certain things. Particularly if criticism could be directed at them also. Please let us know how you get on!

Good luck.

Edited by Pete A

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m 29d

Sounds like the builder (probably on sub contract and going like the clappers to make any money out of the screwed down price from the housing company) measured once , boxed up and let the concritters at it.

Poor work on the builder and company supervisors part.

Supervisors, rarely do.

• Like 1

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 6m 11d

When I first built over 10 years ago the builder said we had to shorten the rumpus room corner by 200mm because it will be to close to the boundary fence and council will not approve. Building company gave us $$ back cant remember how much.

How did you go mate? I would take the keys until matter is fixed and in writing with all paper work completed and approved.

• Member For: 10y 4m 26d

What State are you in? Regardless, it still falls under the Building Code of Australia ( BCA). And distances/dimensions need to be adhered to.

What is the Council Authority saying. Will they approve it and allow a Certificate of Completion.

You shouldn't be made to take responsibility, from signing anything, as you are not qualified in that area.

If a wall needs to be moved, it can be done. Although expensive. The roof frame and material will need to be removed ( and possibly altered before being put back in place. And Footings modified to take newly positioned walls.

You need to be able to sell it ( whenever that could be), without issues. If you have financed this home, get advice from the lender's legal department.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you

• Like 1