Air Con Help... Stinks!.. Blocked Drain?

Chaos310

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 19d

Hi Folks,

So a while back I was not using my ute and now I have started driving it again, I have found the air con, when on, stinks like an old ashtray... No I dont smoke, no one has ever smoked in my car... I had let the thing sit for about 4-5 weeks in my driveway.

anyone experienced this?

anyone got good tips to get to the a/c drain?

cheers!

• Member For: 10y 6m 7d

You might have had some moist air going through the AC duct/evaporator ( that has condensed) when it was last used. With the cooler weather, it hasn't had the chance to evaporate. Maybe mixed with some dust, to get some bacterial growth happening.

You can go to a Ford dealership and they hook up a machine that sends a cleaning agent through the system.

Or go to an Air conditioning/ refrigeration supplier and ask for an aerosol can that disinfects and deodorizes. Blast into return vents ( under dash) with fans on high, until it comes out of the supply vents.

Or a can of Glen 20 ( or similar ).

Edited by sr71

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 25d

Glen20, half a can in all the air vents and run it on recirc for an hour or something!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 29d

An a/c drain pipe may become blocked with debris and cause an overflow of condensate into the cabin. The drain pipe should be checked and cleared as part of each scheduled service.

The smell could be from condensate spillage from the heater core area due to improper sealing. There is a repair kit available involving a foam strip which is fitted within a half hour to fix the concern and is covered under warranty. The dash panel does not need to come out.

Quote Part # BA18B539ASF to Ford.

It fixed the smell issue and the leaking air con water on the drivers side footwell.

Edited by Barnesy
  • Like 1

• Member For: 10y 8m 21d

An a/c drain pipe may become blocked with debris and cause an overflow of condensate into the cabin. The drain pipe should be checked and cleared as part of each scheduled service.

The smell could be from condensate spillage from the heater core area due to improper sealing. There is a repair kit available involving a foam strip which is fitted within a half hour to fix the concern and is covered under warranty. The dash panel does not need to come out.

Quote Part # BA18B539ASF to Ford.

It fixed the smell issue and the leaking air con water on the drivers side footwell.

is that for ba ?as well mate