Fg Xr6 Turbo Swap

daveyboii

• Member For: 10y 3m 23d

Hey everyone,

just looking to see if anyone here has hands on experience of removing their turbo in one of these cars as I'm having a bit of trouble,

I did read this thread http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/43162-removal-of-turbo-in-preperation-of-porting-and-valve-mod/page-1 in search of some help to remove my turbo, I got as far as removing all bolts to the dump, oil & water lines and 2 nuts that are most exposed from the manifold but the 2 on the inside closer to the block are the difficult part for me, I could get the spanner on the back inside one and it would consistently slip off but it still doesn't look rounded

I think I read somewhere in another that someone said its easier to have the car on the hoist and go from under the car has anyone done this ? only thing I could imagine is using a crows feet wrench from under the car with a long extension, bought a new turbo to replace it with, BA/BF hypergear ATR45 by the write ups on here that BA/BF turbos are bolt on just rotate to line up with cooler pipes so I hope I read that correctly

- David.

Edited by daveyboii

• billet turbos and weathered engines dont mix
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 29d

you're better off taking the manifold off with it, you'll have fun trying to get those bottom bolts off on the car trust me. By rotate they mean the front housing, because in Fg the outlet faces up and your hot side comes up and over your intake, on the B series they point down and go under the car.

• Like 1

• Member For: 10y 3m 23d

yeah 14mm, I really wanted to hear of a solution rather than not taking the manifold off lol, I tried for a good 30mins on the bottom back one and couldn't get a good grip, and the front bottom one I couldn't get to cause it looks like the bolts that hold my actuator on look like they would fowl against the turbo housing before they would come out in order to get enough space to try from the top