Loss Of Power With External Gate

RIP85

• REST IN PEACE V8
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 6d

Pain in the ass I know, but if you can get a new rear housing and have this done I think you would see the benefits of holding solid boost curves with the external gate :spoton:

<br /><br />Yeah my tuner did this to a brand new garret housing I paid 450 for last month

• REST IN PEACE V8
  • Donating Members

This is kind of what I'm talking about, see how the pipe has been cut to flow the gas straight from the flange at the merge collector? <br /> <br />oldgt3019xm.jpg

<br /><br />That setup that you posted a pic of was the same setup he had on a fg which lost 30rwkw also his customer went back to internal post-15304-139044874477_thumb.jpg
  • Like 1

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 20d

Yeah right... I'm not an expert by any means, but I think it has a lot to with the position of the wastegate pipe in relation to where the rear housing starts to split in to the turbine wheel. If you notice the one I posted is right down near the flange where as the ones on the falcon housing is a lot further up so the turbulence created will slow down the turbine wheel.

• REST IN PEACE V8
  • Donating Members

Yeah I see the difference now no worries I appreciate your input thanks Ben

• REST IN PEACE V8
  • Donating Members

To be honest over it just might hold off till tax time and go gtx42 in the last 13 months only driven the car 1,5 months

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 19d

If you're holding the same manifold pressure and the same ignition timing, what are people's thoughts on the cause of the lost power?

I went from internal to ETM external (looks the same as pics) and when I retuned it to the same manifold pressure I didn't lose power.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 20d

I think checking the timing is probably the biggest clue there toad. If the turbine is being slowed then the motor can't pump the gases as efficiently and as a result timing would be retarded and I'm guessing the boost would come on more slowly too.

I've never done any tuning, but could open vs. Closed loop tuning allow the timing to advance and retard like a factory tune? Or am I way off here?

• REST IN PEACE V8
  • Donating Members

Just to add to the complication motor is a Low comp motor with 4 plus atomic cams and fixed cam gears still on factory PCM I'm sure my tuner will sort it out hasn't let me down in the past

• Like 1