Engine Troubles. Help?

bamk2f6tornado

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 22d

Hi guys just joined the forum after purchasing a Ba f6 tornado 6sp manual.

Hope this is the right place. I have searched the site but can't seem to find anyone with the same problem as I have had.

I picked up the car from Brisbane last week and the way home to Rockhampton (600kms north). Half way into the journey cruising at 100 the engine completely cut out and the battery light came on but no engine light. I noticed the positive terminal was loose so tightened it.

The car restarted fine and just down the road it cut out again. Got it towed into town and gave a mechanic at Ford a call. He seemed to think it was Dirty fuel or loose/split Hose. so I put a new fuel filter on and checked all Hoses. Battery is brand new.

The next day I Took it for a 30min hard drive around town and it ran fine. Then it happens again after cruising for 30min. I put a new fuel filter in and got 1km down the road then engine cut out again and battery light came on. It seems to idle a bit rough but will rev fine but cuts out as soon as you take off.

Got it towed to the local mechanic and they have checked the fault codes. Only one on there for running lean. They seem to think it is a faulty fuel pump which is going in today.

The guys at the mechanic shop arnt to familiar with the Xr6t. So is there any suggestions about what else could be causing the problem?

I was told when buying the car it had a cat back exhaust but Apon further investigation I have found it has a stainless dump pipe fitted and standard cat. The mechanics don't think this is causing the problem despite what I have read on this forum.

I pick up the car tomorrow from the mechanic but have a feeling it will break down again.

Any ideas???

• Member For: 11y 6m 4d

I thought fuel pumps just stop. Or loose the ability to make pressure gradually. I have not known one to be intermittent. But there maybe be some one who has seen this.

If it does stop again, pm me and I will give you the wiring diagram for the fuel system. Then you will need to check all the connections in the fuel pump electrical circuit. Like relay terminals , fuse connectors and fuel pump connectors etc.

Edited by AdamIan69

• Member For: 10y 10m 22d

That's what I thought to. They also think that tea bag thing on the end of it might have like sucked in on its self from crap fuel. Trying to deal with used car warranties is I fuc*ing nightmare.

Will do thanks mate

It is intermittent, so a blocked suction screen that drops the dirt out of the screen while the car is turned off. Then it gradually picks dirt up and then the car slowly looses power as it gets more and more blocked again. The engine will usually cough under acceleration and return to normal when de accelerating.

Is there a relationship between the car stalling and the fuel level?

14.7 is too high. I would start with replacing the reg in the alternator before I changed a fuel pump or bang a second hand alternator it as a new unit will cost you an arm and a leg. You want about 13.5v while the engine is running.

• Member For: 12y 3m 2d

does sound fuel related.....is the pump noisy? also make sure earth wire from batter to chassis is clean/good nick, mine was totally f*cked I had no idea how it still ran...