Mechanics Blew Up My Car - What Now?

JJW1978

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 24d

No one is able to prove he kept limiter bashing your car which caused a rod to let go..

As so many have said.. He could have just been goingfor a rather normal drive to see if the issue started to present itself..

While I'm sorry for your situation.. I've been in and around business for long enough to know that there is always three sides to a story..

Customers

Businesses

And what actually happened..

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3d

I understand that SDP.... But the mechanic was in over his head by the looks of it... And did not believe the error codes...yes OP should have taking it to a expert in these cars. If the code suggested it was waste gate and he did not check it he has a bit of fault with it...

As op said, he did not boot it once found out it overboosted...think its s 50-50 take the blame here... OP going to a mechanic who does not understand these cars.... And mechanic who did not believe error code and brushed it off.....if that's what really happened.

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 29d

Does the PCM have an up to date calibration in it?

BA's had an overboost issue early on in their life which was due to a calibration error. Ford released an update which fixed the problem.

It's possible your car never had the update.

• I am dissatisfied with my current employment situation
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 27d

Hmm not sure I'll name names just yet. They might be cool about it. They've always looked after me hence why I kept going back to them.

Mechanic has been "testing" everything he can think off before checking the electrics like the ECU. I kinda think that's the first thing he should of checked. He had it nearly a week.

I've been told by a lawyer friend to try and resolve it with the mechanic first and if I'm not happy with that to take it to the Department of Consumer Protection to try and resolve it.

Ok the scenario in which the mechanic blew up my engine is as follows:

- Mechanic spends nearly a week testing, overboosting and scratching his head about the problem. Tests/replaces every mechanical little part he can think of.

- He told me the computer errors where telling him it was a wastegate problem but he didn't believe the errors. So he ignores the errors and refuses to look at the wastegate.

- Finally yesterday he was taking it to an EFI guy to look at the electronics of the car and he gave it a boot "to see if the problem was still there" and the engine blew up.

Note: I had to call them every single day to find out what was happening with my car. Even when they blew it up they didn't call me. They waited all day until I called them at 5:30pm to tell me.

Does this really sound like it's my fault?

So if a mechanic is in over his head and has no idea how to fix a problem he can keep testing and overboosting until the engine blows up?

I don't understand

• Member For: 17y 4m 6d

Thanks for all the replys.
I've talked to the mechanic this morning and he's agreed to make a claim through his insurance. If it gets picked up he'll have a $1000 excess which he's agreed to cover. If it doesn't get picked up then we'll work through the issue together and come up with a solution.
I'm a reasonable person but don't feel like I should be wearing all of the costs.

• Like 5

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 6m 4d

Over boost problem. I would do the following (I am not a tuner)

Check map sensor plug

Check hose too waste gate and valve.

Test pneumatic "normally closed" valve before wastegate-(common problem)

""Connect a computer to the obd2 port and watch boost increase on the screen as you drive""

Connect a pressure gauge to manifold to verify what the obd2 port is telling you.

Check flapper valve is not seized and that it can open "fully".

Pressure test waste gate diaphragm and connecting hoses at turbo, ensure waste gate operates correctly with flapper valve still attached to actuator rod.

Blow workshop air backward through barbed fitting on turbo.

The way I see it, there "will" be a fault at one of those points.

How can he spend a week diagnosing this? Even if there was other cars in the workshop. Are you sure it was the intake manifold gasket he replaced and not the exhaust manifold gasket?

"If" he removed the turbo then he may have not put the clip on that holds the rod on the flapper or he may have bent the waste gate rod trying to remove it from the flapper.

I would immediately pull the car out of his workshop and send it to a I dependent "tuner" so he can't cover up anything that he "may" of wrecked.

Other side of the story is that it could have had a damaged rod when it went into his shop and the bloke is innocent.

• Member For: 17y 4m 6d

Is it the same mechanic that replaced the manifold gasket who blew the engine?

yeah same guy.

to be honest, whilst I'm pissed at the situation the guy is being pretty open about the situation. at this stage I'd be happy if his insurance company wrote the car off and I got a pay out.