Mechanics Blew Up My Car - What Now?

JJW1978

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 24d

How else can they confirm/diagnose pazzo?

Especially if said mechanic doesn't have a dyno?

Take my job.. Member of the public claims a road curve is unsafe at 100kmh.. I can't take their word for it..

I strap a vericom to my car and drive that curve at 120-110-100-90-80 to make a proper determination on the safety of the curve..

I'm not agreeing that the mechanic 'drove it like he stole it' because he shouldn't do that if suspected of over boosting..

But correct me if in wrong.. If a vehicle has over boosted damage to rods and supporting components is unknown until they pop out and say hi? So the rod could have been 99% failed before the mechanic got in it.

• Member For: 17y 4m 6d

Ok the scenario in which the mechanic blew up my engine is as follows:

- I drive my car like a normal person. The overboost issue was identified when I got the inlet manifold gasket replaced.

- This is the very first problem I've had with anything to do with the engine.

- I brought the car back to the mechanic the very next week to identify and fix the problem. The overboost only occurred after 2500rpm and I made sure not to go above that.

- Mechanic spends nearly a week testing, overboosting and scratching his head about the problem. Tests/replaces every mechanical little part he can think of.

- He told me the computer errors where telling him it was a wastegate problem but he didn't believe the errors. So he ignores the errors and refuses to look at the wastegate.

- Finally yesterday he was taking it to an EFI guy to look at the electronics of the car and he gave it a boot "to see if the problem was still there" and the engine blew up.

Note: I had to call them every single day to find out what was happening with my car. Even when they blew it up they didn't call me. They waited all day until I called them at 5:30pm to tell me.

Does this really sound like it's my fault?

Edited by JJW1978

• www.australianflag.org.au
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 8d

Take my job.. Member of the public claims a road curve is unsafe at 100kmh.. I can't take their word for it..

I strap a vericom to my car and drive that curve at 120-110-100-90-80 to make a proper determination on the safety of the curve..

I'm not agreeing that the mechanic 'drove it like he stole it' because he shouldn't do that if suspected of over boosting..

But correct me if in wrong.. If a vehicle has over boosted damage to rods and supporting components is unknown until they pop out and say hi? So the rod could have been 99% failed before the mechanic got in it.

Off topic, what's a vericom?

Also how much leeway are you given to test above posted speed limit?

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 24d

http://www.vericomcomputers.com/VC4000DAQ.html

It's used to measure all different forces and angles of a car when travelling...

Nifty box.. Would love to take one on a racetrack one day..

Leeway depends on who's employing me and what I'm looking into..

• Member For: 17y 4m 6d

So if a mechanic is in over his head and has no idea how to fix a problem he can keep testing and overboosting until the engine blows up?

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 8m

If the diagnostics were telling him the issue was the waste-gate, the issue does turn out to be the wast-gate and he ignored it and the engine blew up while driving it on the road and increasing revs to see if it was still there then I think you have a right to be pissed.

Someone else may be able to suggest if he'd have had reason to think it was other than the waste-gate that was causing the problem.

That said though - there is always 2 sides. It does sound like he's being straight forward with you though.