Mechanics Blew Up My Car - What Now?

JJW1978

• Member For: 17y 4m 6d

I'm still in shock but basically I sent my car in for repairs to (what I thought was) a reputable mechanic for an overboost problem. In their attempts at testing and problem solving (which has taken nearly a week) they've blown up the engine. What do I do? I this something I have pay for? What are my rights as a consumer? I'm at a lose as how to proceed.

• Member For: 17y 4m 6d

When you say blew up your engine. What failed.

Apparently, engine blew a rod out the side of the engine block when he was out on the road testing it.

who was it?

Hmm not sure I'll name names just yet. They might be cool about it. They've always looked after me hence why I kept going back to them.

Was the car custom tuned already and started over-boosting? Or was it factory stock and started over-boosting?

Car was stock and no custom tune. It started overboosting after I got the intake manifold gasket replaced. Mechanic has been "testing" everything he can think off before checking the electrics like the ECU. I kinda think that's the first thing he should of checked. He had it nearly a week.

I've been told by a lawyer friend to try and resolve it with the mechanic first and if I'm not happy with that to take it to the Department of Consumer Protection to try and resolve it.

Most annoying thing is I was going to sell it soon. Maybe I should try get him to buy it and then he can fix it up and his leisure.

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 24d

What ratter asked..

If the mechanic caused the issue.. Yes he could be at fault..

But if he was just trying to fix an issue that either yourself or someone else introduced into the car then I don't think it matters who was driving it when the rod vacated the block.. Could easily be argued that if your car was over boosting it could have vacated any time while you were behind the wheel.

Edited by Slightly Depressed Panda

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3d

But also if mechanic knew it was over boosting and he is booting it knowing full well that it is over boosting why push it...not sticking up for him but he knew it had a problem so don't drive it like you stole it...

If I took my car to a place and told them it's having a problem I would not expect them to drive it while having one...

Edited by Pazzo