Fg Xr6 With The 5 Speed Auto

jamiexr6

• Member For: 10y 5m 13d

Hi Guys,

I am looking at purchasing an 09 FG XR6 with the 5 speed auto box. Car has 100,000km on it. The price I am getting it for is cheap enough if the box was to go somewhere down the track a rebuild won't be too frustrating.

I've read a whole lot of storied about the 5 speed's being sh*t however have seen a similar amount of storied on the ZF boxes.

Has anyone here had issues with the 5 speed box, what did you do to repair? (Rebuild or replace)

From what I've read the ZF isn't an easy swap so that's out of the question if she goes.

• Member For: 12y 2m 5d

I had a 5 speed.

Box was stupid. Literally, it would hold gear for no reason, there was a blank spot taking off from a stand still, revs were high and she chewed fuel, wouldn't kick back a gear when I wanted too and would when I didn't.

End of the day I bought it with 32, 000 odd k's and sold it at 35, 000 odd k's.

Uber sh*t gbox dont do it. 6 speed boxes feel so much more smoother and responsive.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 9d

I drove a 5 speed for a while, seemed ok to me. Obviously a 6 speed would be nicer but if the 5 speed is cheaper I cant see the issue.

• Like 1

• Member For: 12y 9m 23d

It is a one-of automatic built under sub-contract in France. Have a real good think about just who will know anything about this thing if it plays up. The zf is one of the worlds most used auto's for a damn good reason. It is made by a company that predates the second world war and also made transmissions for Tiger Tanks. Issues with the ZF are usually all about the dumb-ar*se cooler that is used both by Ford and Jaguar.

Anything French has a shelf life of a croissant. Citroen really means lemon!!!

IMO - the answer is no.

• Like 2

• Member For: 11y 27d

I can agree that the xr6 5speed auto is sh*t my car will clunk every time I go from p to r into d when cruising gears won't change properly and even when u punt it hard seem for it to take a few seconds before it starts to move I wish I went for the 6speed zf even my ba mk2 turbo 4speed trans goes better and harder then the 5speed

• Haha 1

• Member For: 10y 5m 13d

I ended up buying it. So far so good.

It kicks back fine but does clunk going from R to N etc. To me it feels more like the bushes need to be change as it's a noise in the rear and doesn't do it unless the brakes are on (putting pressure on the diff), will get under the car on the weekend and check it out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 6d

A mate of mine has 5 speed and it stuffed up under warranty and was rebuilt,there is not a lot of people that rebuild them,the main thing the bloke said was the oil level is critical and recommended he fit a trans cooler on it and by pass the factory one,,he did and its done about 80000 hard kms and hasn't had a problem,I recon the cooler helps,they make one for the 5speed,they are on ebay,,good luck...........J K...

• 10 years later...
  • Member For: 7m 26d
On 11/12/2013 at 4:55 AM, Xr6govroom said:

I can agree that the xr6 5speed auto is sh*t my car will clunk every time I go from p to r into d when cruising gears won't change properly and even when u punt it hard seem for it to take a few seconds before it starts to move I wish I went for the 6speed zf even my ba mk2 turbo 4speed trans goes better and harder then the 5speed

The Nic the box clunking mate that yea diff bush coz mine was doing it and changed the bush and it went away