Constant Diff Bolt Breakage

RIP85

• REST IN PEACE V8
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 27d

My good mate is a teacher for cat hes been telling me to give him the bolt size might give that a go next.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 25d

Front bolts are Cat PN 8C-0537 I have lost the PN for the rear bolts unfortunately

You'll also need a couple of hardened washers for the front bolts as the grip length is a touch shorter.

I believe it does Brendan.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 21d

Any suggestions on products etc Aaron that have seen less breakages. I don't care for comfort...prefer strength.

I have a solid rear center bush, factory bolt and all other bushes stock, yet broke a inner LHS CV changing into 2nd with MT's.

BA or BF

BF has rubbish front bushes. Definitely change the front bushes to solid. Change the rear bolt to the highest grade you can, at least 12.9. This will increase the fatigue resistance. The diff bolt is a lever, if only it was supported on the other side.

CVs can be an issue. Some people have luck and some dont. Obviously they work best when exactly horizontal. The cage is cast, billet is the go. Our Nizro car has billet CVs. I think people have also snapped half shafts, but I am not sure where the weak point is.

Edited by arronm
  • Like 1

• REST IN PEACE V8
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 27d

I have a new cradle when the diff went last year it twisted the cradle and smashed the diff

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 25d

CVs can be an issue. Some people have luck and some dont. Obviously they work best when exactly horizontal. The cage is cast, billet is the go. Our Nizro car has billet CVs. I think people have also snapped half shafts, but I am not sure where the weak point is.

Can't comment on the nizzer billet cv's but stock units are strongest the the axle shafts is pointing downwards towards the hub slightly. Having them horizontal puts pressure on the cages and forces the ball to run outside the correct track. Having the axle angled downwards shortens the axle slightly due tonthe geometry in the rear end.

• Member For: 21y 6m 17d

And I suppose there was no cracks in that cradle before you installed the milliom grade bolt?

Not my cradle. I'd be too embarrassed to show that if it was mine.

I never met the guy I got that off but it certainly takes a special kind of guy to get it to that point.